A benchtop drill press is a go-to tool for drilling holes on exposed and even curved surfaces. This handy tool is meant to make your work easier at home by helping you utilize available resources with minimal wastage.
On the flip-side, though, not all benchtop drill press tools are equipped with the necessary features for your typical DIY tasks. In order to make an informed choice, it’s imperative to compare some of the top options available.
This article delves deeper into best drill press units from different manufacturers.
Delta Laser 18-900L 18″ Drill Press
Featuring 16 different speeds for drilling to provide you with a wide range of drilling options, Delta 18-900L 18″ Laser Drill Press is versatile as well as rugged enough for professional use. It comes with an oversized table and 5-year warranty for your peace of mind.
This benchtop drill press also features a heavy duty motor that is powerful enough for better drilling performance on various materials. Additionally, it is enhanced with a fully-adjustable TWIN LASER that usually projects a bright-red set of cross-hairs on the work surface at the point of bit contact.
- 6″ quill stroke that offers best in class capacity and accuracy so you can drill some pretty deep holes.
- Independent depth scale that allows you to zero the scale and quickly set-up for repetitive drilling easily coupled with micro-adjustable stops.
- Auto-tensioning belt-drive system that ensures you easy and fast speed changes without losing precision or efficiency.
- LED light to illuminate your work surface for better visibility and non-tip cast-iron base that offers maximum stability.
- Very user-friendly and precise
- Adjustable locking levers that allow for easy angle adjustments
- Operates quietly
- Well-built and durable
- Sometimes it can be a challenge to see the laser of this benchtop drill press when the additional LED light is on
Dremel 220-01 Rotary Tool Work Station
Would you like to make the perfect holes that are very consistent with the required dimensions? If you’re searching for such kind of benchtop drill press, then Dremel 220-01 Rotary Tool Work Station is the ideal choice. It is highly flexible considering that it can actually be used both for machining exposed surfaces and curved surfaces.
And in terms of compatibility, it’s great as it is compatible with Dremel rotary tool models and works with various accessories even those not manufactured by Dremel.
Enter your model number to make sure this fits.; Articulating Drill Press- Drills Perpendicular and Angled Holes in 15-degree Increments, up to 90 Degrees Horizontal; Tool Holder- Holds Tool at 90 ...
- For safe storage of power cords, this benchtop drill press boasts cord management clips.
- Equipped with a flexible shaft tool stand which means you can also adjust the tool height between 16″ and 29″.
- Comes with an inch/metric marking on its base to allow you to perform very accurate drillings and crow’s nest to provide onboard storage for wrenches, drill bits, and other accessories.
- Tool holder that is able to hold tools at 90-degrees horizontal for various tasks like grinding metal or polishing metal pieces.
- Allows you to bore holes perpendicular to the assembly or even perform holes that are angled anything between 15 and 90-degrees.
- 1-year warranty
- Comes with a plethora of accessories and extras
- Very affordable
- If you are not a patient person, installing this drill press may be a nuisance as the instruction manual is not that straightforward
WEN 4208 8″ 5 Speed Drill Press
This is a small benchtop drill press but strong enough to drill holes through wood, metal, plastics among other materials. WEN 4208 8-Inch 5 Speed Drill Press features a 1/2 inch keyed chuck with onboard key storage for holding drill bits for safety purposes.
It also boasts powerful and durable a 1/3 horsepower induction motor that provides enough capacity to tackle even the most resistive supplies. The motor boasts ball-bearings for smooth operation for longer life.
- Operates at five different speeds including 740, 3140, 1100, 2100 and 1530 RPM, therefore, it is sure to meet all your drilling operations.
- Worktable bevels up to 45-degrees right and left to provide you with the ideal right angles consistently especially for those taxing operations.
- Slotted table for better mounting clamps and predrilled holes on the base for convenient mounting against a bench or even a work-stand.
- Spindle travel of up to 2″ with an easy to read linear depth stop for accurate and repeatable drilling procedures.
- Sturdy as it is built with a firm frame made of cast-iron
- 2-year warranty
- Does the job precisely and conveniently
- This benchtop drill press gives you versatility through a choice of bits
- May occasionally wobble throughout the drilling operation
SKIL 3320-01 3.2 Amp 10″ Drill Press
If you are tired of expensive drill presses that offer little value for money, then you should consider investing in this benchtop drill press. SKIL 3320-01 3.2 Amp 10″ Drill Press is equipped with many great features including the adjustable work surface, adjustable depth control, a large chuck capable of accommodating most drill bits, adjustable speeds, and laser sights.
- Work surface table that can be tilted either left or right up to 45 degrees that make sure a great deal of easy movement on the work surface thereby ensuring you drill angled holes.
- 5-speeds, 570- 3,050 RPM that offers the power you require to complete the very challenging drilling tasks.
- Laser X2 2 Beam laser system that works to accurately align drill bits and an on/off switch with a built-in safety key for extra safety while working.
- 1-year warranty and 30-day money back guarantee
- Easy to assemble and very quiet in operation
- Well balanced and accurate
- Changing the speeds of this benchtop drill press is a manual process hence can be very tiring when you need to change the speeds now and then
Shop Fox 3/4-HP 13″ Bench-Top Drill Press (W1668)
If what you’re looking for is a benchtop drill press that is capable of drilling both on wood and metal, this is a versatile option to consider. Featuring various types of speed and a high voltage 3/4 HP motor, Shop Fox W1668 ¾-HP 13-Inch Bench-Top Drill Press Spindle Sander is a real performer as an effective and efficient automatic drill press.
Shop Fox bench top drill press and spindle sander
|Dust port size|
Round 12-3/8" dia.
45 degrees left & right
- 3 piece spindle sander drum-kit along with mandrel and 80-grit sanding paper that fits the 1″, 1-1/2″ and 2″ that makes it possible for you to accomplish all your sanding operations.
- 3-1/4″ spindle travel that is long enough to meet all your drilling needs with spindle speed that ranges from 250 to 3,050 RPM.
- Worktable that tilts up to 90 degrees right and left. The table’s height can also be adjusted depending on your needs.
- A 5/8″ drill chuck that makes it easier for deep drillings and 13-1/4″ swing.
- Clearance hole with a dust accumulation port thereby making your sanding jobs less messy
- Built to last with 2-year warranty
- Compact design
- Assembling this benchtop drill press drums takes a bit of time
Small Benchtop Drill Press-DRL-300.00
Measuring 6-3/4-inches by 6-3/4-inches and weighing 13 pounds only, Small Benchtop Drill Press-DRL-300.00 features a compact design and is certainly no heavyweight. It is easy to use and ideal for all drilling operations despite being very small. In addition, this benchtop drill press comes with one year warranty which is good enough for your peace of mind though short.
This easy-to-use benchtop drill press is very small, but powerful enough to use for all of your drilling projects. With a platform measuring only 6-3/4" x 6-3/4", it is space-saving as well as ...
- Powerful motor with 110 volt capacity for improved performance as well as for improved precision and accuracy.
- Boasts variable speed up to 8,500 RPM to choose from thereby giving you the flexibility to be able to match bit-size to the specific type of material being drilled with a very reasonable amount of accuracy.
- It is corded electric hence no batteries required and comes with other extras along in the package including a bare tool.
- Affordable and provides efficient performance
- Economical and space saving
- Easy to use and put together
- Does not have an on/off variable speed knob, therefore, you have to change the speeds manually
TruePower 01-0822 Precision Mini Drill Press
If you are a weekend woodworker searching for an economical benchtop drill press that offers greater precision compared to hand-held drill, TruePower 01-0822 Precision Mini Drill Press with 3 Range Variable Speed Control 0-8500 Rpm constructed with durable materials so it can withstand the test of time is the perfect investment.
It features a cast iron worktable and provides you with that speed and accuracy that you crave. It is also easy to assemble and comes with all the necessary accessories needed for successful drilling operations. In addition, this benchtop drill press provides superb versatility and effortless control thereby allowing you to operate it confidently.
Permanent magnet motor with variable speed control ; Infinite speed selection within the machine's three speed ranges (0-5000, 0-6500, and 0-8500 RPM) ; Accommodates drills from 0.79 to 6mm dia. ...
- Delivers a drilling capacity of 0.79″ to 6mm diameter holes.
- Equipped with a permanent magnet motor coupled with variable speed control for a variety of applications.
- Boasts spindle travel of 1″ meaning it can actually drill a hole 1″ deep through a workpiece held securely on its work-surface.
- A chuck capacity of 6mm to make sure there are no incidences of lost drill bits plus a chuck key for your safety.
- Infinite speed selection varying from 0 to 5000, 0 to 6500 and 0 to 8500 RPM allowing you to work on a variety of materials effortlessly.
- Solidly constructed to ensure lasting precision
- Ships with a user manual making assembly of the unit easier
- At 12 pounds, it is a lightweight drill
- At the onset, the drive belt tends to be a bit difficult to start but fortunately after several hours of operation, it starts working smoothly
Rikon 30-100 RIKON 8″ Drill Press
This is a small benchtop drill press with all the power of handling a wide range of drilling activities. Rikon 30-100 RIKON 8-Inch Drill Press comes with amazing features that enable you to carry out all your drilling operations and achieve great results. Therefore, whether you’re drilling hardwoods or heavy metals, this drill press will be a valuable tool. It is also easy to set up and boasts a robust construction.
- Clutch depth stop to help you set your desired drilling depth in order to get high-quality drilling. It is also perfect for repeatable drilling.
- Features solid steel and cast-iron construction that gives this benchtop drill press heavy-duty body which makes it very stable throughout all your drilling tasks without any vibration.
- Adjustable worktable that makes using this machine very easy as it allows you to adjust it to your desired height.
- Five spindle speeds that range from 620 to 3100 RPM that make drilling on different types of materials effortless.
- Offers a smooth running
- Lightweight and easy to operate
- Powerful motor
- When installing the chuck, hammering is required to install it correctly
Rockwell RK7033 10-Inch Drill Press
The RK7033 benchtop drill press has the power to make anyone fall in love with every drilling job they undertake. It provides one with an opportunity to perform tough to delicate tasks on plastic, wood and even metallic surfaces. It boasts a high function capacity motor which produces sufficient energy for all manner of projects.
So if you have a large project that requires you to drill holes on various types of surfaces, this is your best bet. The tool is easy to use and can cut down your drilling time significantly.
The Shop Series 10-inch drill press makes a great addition to your home workshop. The powerful 6.2 amp, 2/3 HP motor and the 5 speed gear box deliver great performance making this a fantastic value. ...
- Has multiple settings that among others enable you to take advantage of the 4-degree left and right bevel.
- Has a rack and pinion table known to enhance adaptability ensuring you are able to take on different heights with ease.
- Further reinforced by a 6.2 amp motor system with 2/3 HP motor system which delivers an amazing level of performance and value.
- Features 5-speed settings that allow one to work on different surfaces
- One of the most adaptable benchtop drill press available
- Offers multiple speed settings for optimized performance
- Powerful motor for dependable performance
- Energy efficient
- Comes disassembled
Grizzly G7943 Heavy-Duty Benchtop Drill Press (12 Speed)
G7943 is renowned for its shorter column, relatively big drill press – specs that are optimized for tough projects. One thing to note about this benchtop drill press is that it has a 3/4 HP motor alongside a 5/8 degrees chick complementing its large square table. Weighing a hefty 142 lbs, this solid machine soaks up vibration pretty well making it pleasant to use from one hole to the next.
All the features and dependability of an expensive industrial grade drill press
- Manual speed switch to help one take full advantage of the drill press’ 12 speeds.
- Boasts twin hex nuts that lock depth settings securely over molding upon other controls thereby making adjustments more comfortable
- Has a built-in light socket with a 60-watt bulb that keeps the drilling surface illuminated.
- Excellent depth settings
- Built-in light socket
- A good combination of no-nonsense features
- Solidly built
- Gives best result on metal work and less than stellar results on woodwork.
Why Choose a Benchtop Drill Press?
A drill press is one of the most important tools every DIY person needs to have around for many reasons. The first reason to choose this tool is accuracy. With this unit, you can drill more precise holes at the desired angles and depth. In addition, this tool enables you to work more quickly – all thanks to their immense motor power.
|Product Name||Image||Size||Overall Rating||Details|
|Delta Laser 18-900L 18″ Drill Press||18″||10||Check price|
|Dremel 220-01 Rotary Tool Work Station||6″||9.5||Check price|
|WEN 4208 5 Speed Drill Press||8″||9||Check price|
|SKIL 3320-01 3.2 Amp Drill Press||10″||8.5||Check price|
|Shop Fox 3/4-HP Bench-Top Drill Press||13″||8||Check price|
|Small Benchtop Drill Press-DRL-300.00||9/32"||8.5||Check price|
|TruePower 01-0822 Precision Mini Drill Press||1/4"||7.5||Check price|
|Rikon 30-100 RIKON Drill Press||8″||8.5||Check price|
|Rockwell RK7033 Drill Press||10″||7.5||Check price|
|Grizzly G7943 Heavy-Duty Benchtop Drill Press||5/8″||8||Check price|
The powerful motors save your energy as drilling holes take less effort. Lastly, the main reason why people choose a benchtop drill press is that it is a functional tool. It allows one to take on challenging tasks guaranteeing the much-needed safety for demanding projects.
Given all the factors one needs to take into account when acquiring a benchtop drill press, our choice of the best is the Delta Laser 18-900L Drill Press. It has advanced laser technology which increases accuracy alongside fast speed for maximum efficiency. The machine drills some pretty deep holes by combining its top-level accuracy with its rugged nature. In addition, it is protected by a 5-year warranty.