Once in a while, we all need to travel a long distance and without one of the best travel pillows, that 10 hour trip on the train or airplane may end up being the worst nightmare of your life.
So whether you opt to take a nap on the journey or not, there is a requirement for proper neck and head support as it takes off the burden and lets you enjoy the trip.
Talking about enjoying the trip, we have tried out various pillows and measured them against existing user reviews to come up with a simplified comparison.
Here is a run-down of 10 of the best travel pillow options for every journey.
Clara Clark Hypoallergenic Memory Foam Travel Pillow
Built with high-quality memory foam material to give you just the right amount of support and comfort to your neck, Clara Clark Hypoallergenic Memory Foam Travel Pillow is the best travel pillow to invest in.
It is perfect for travelling on trains, airplanes, in a car, buses, relaxing at home watching television and even working in front of your computer. It is also ideal for kids, men, adults, women and even seniors. What’s more, the materials used to construct it are dust-mite resistant, hypoallergenic, non-toxic and antibacterial in nature.
- Features a zippered velour cover made of rayon bamboo and filled with memory foam material which feels like plush velvet or even cashmere against your skin.
- Includes a snap closure to help hold it in place while you travel and when not in use.
- 100-percent satisfaction guarantee.
- Machine washable and comes with a free stylish carrying bag.
- Easy to care for and durable
- Risk free
- No need to inflate it
- Reduces head and neck pain
- Produces some funny odor once unpacked but the smell normally goes away within 24-48 hours once properly aired out
Aeris Memory Foam Travel Neck Pillow
Made with the best memory foam material to provide excellent support and a snug, the Aeris Memory Foam Travel Neck Pillow is the best travel pillow and makes a great gift for graduations, birthdays, weddings and even mother’s/father’s day. It has its own carrying bag and a removable plush velour cover which are machine washable.
There is also earplugs and sleep mask to help reduce any ambient noise or light while you rest.
- Built-in ventilation holes to keep air flowing throughout the pillow for the best sleeping experience.
- Backed by a lifetime free replacement guarantee which is why it’s the best travel pillow.
- The memory foam base is covered with an internal cover for overall travel comfort.
- Includes adjustable toggles attached to the velour cover which is quite sturdy and does a great job of keeping the pillow in place during use.
- Stimulates blood circulation while reducing muscle tension
- Soft and comfy
- Relieves pressure while reducing tiredness
- Provides comfortable fit around your neck
J-Pillow Travel Pillow-British-Invention of the Year 2013
Made out of plush polyester with a polyester fiber filling which means J-Pillow Travel Pillow – Head, Chin and Neck Support – British Invention of the Year 2013 is basically soft, this a great travel pillow. Being the best travel pillow, it is easy to carry around and ergonomically designed with chin support to keep your head/neck elevated in the perfect sleep position.
In addition, the pillow won an award for the British-Invention of the Year in 2013 and is the best selling travel pillow on Amazon in Japan, France, the UK and Spain.
- Boasts a snap-loop fastener to help hold it in place while travelling and makes it easy to affix to your bag when it’s not in any use.
- Machine washable even the cover on a warm wash. You can choose to air dry it for firmer support or tumble dry it on low heat for softer support.
- Boasts a unique and great design that is its main selling point.
- Made using plush soft fabric that provides maximum softness and comfort against your skin.
- Prevents you from snapping awake
- Provides support for the chin and the neck while cushioning for side/back of the head
- Gives users a better sleeping experience
- Can easily be squeezed down to be more compact
- Takes up space in your suitcase even when compressed
Travelmate Memory-Foam Neck Pillow
Back to the conventional designs is yet another quite good looking travel pillow but one with a lot to offer than meets the eye which is why it’s also the best travel pillow. Made from thermo-sensitive memory foam of the highest quality, this best travel pillow provides great quality at a very affordable price.
Travelmate Memory-Foam Neck Pillow is constructed to fit well around the user’s neck without having any toggles or adjustments.
- Built-in elastic strap so you can attach the pillow to your suitcase to ensure it doesn’t get lost.
- Zippered-plush velour cover that can be machine washed hence no need to worry about dirt/grime collecting to the extent you have to get rid of it.
- Boasts a built-in removable insert that enables you to adjust the pillow’s thickness according to your needs.
- Patent pending pillow molds perfectly to your neck size and comes with a 30-day full money back guarantee.
- Keeps you very cool while asleep
- Easy to use
- Provides proper alignment to both the neck/head
- Can be used anywhere
- You are likely to get a counterfeit/fake TravelMate Memory-Foam Neck Pillow for a lower price so make sure to check the trademark TravelMate so you’re not duped
Travelrest-Ultimate Travel Pillow
This is arguably the best travel pillow that a lot of travelers prefer. This is because of its many great features some of which are tailor-made to offer better rest experience.
Travelrest-Ultimate Travel Pillow features a unique build design that allows your entire upper body to rest while sleeping. In addition, offering a multitude of benefits in a very portable package, this pillow has garnered some rave reviews from great media outlets including the Wall Street Journal.
- Patented design
- Inflatable — the process is easy and painless and can be done in a few full breaths.
- Removable and machines washable velour cover.
- Being the best travel pillow, it boasts two-year warranty and a strap available to sling it across your body.
- Easy to carry around
- Easily loops
- Compresses easily to quarter its size for packing
- Provides support on one side of the body at a time
Trtl Super Soft Neck Support Travel Pillow
Not only is Trtl one of the best travel pillow you’ll ever come across but it closely resembles your average scarf this time complemented with an internal support system (ISS).
The ISS provides your head with something to lean on when you are sitting straight up. Its skeleton is made of plastic which is lined up with a foam insert which makes it not only stable but also comfortable for everyday use. In addition, being one of the best travel pillow units, Trtl has a Velcro strap which you can use to fasten it in place.
- Utilizes a scientifically proven long-haul flight neck support pillow which holds the neck in a comfortable posture during rest
- It only weighs 148 grams and it is almost half the size of an ordinary travel pillow making it a suitable item to pack up in the bags even when you have lots of stuff to carry
- Strategically made to prevent sore shoulders and/or stiff neck – this can come in handy when you need to lean against the seat of a plane or train during long distance travel
- The ISS is made from hypo-allergenic polyester fleece which is super soft and warm enough to provide maximum comfort
- Comfy and soft
- Compact and lighter than most pillows
- Aesthetically appealing unlike other pillows
- Plastic support can dig into your neck after long periods of usage and this can be uncomfortable
Kohbi Travel Pillow With Bliss Memory Foam
Famed for its simplistic yet functional design, Kohbi Travel Pillow is definitely the best travel pillow for those operating on a tight budget. Despite its simple-looking design, it has a lot of useful features making it a go-to option for those looking for high-quality sleeping experience.
Another thing is that it is made from high-quality premium memory foam which adds some chiropractic benefits to it. Above all, each unit is backed by a lifetime free replacement warranty.
- Ergonomically design to fit the neck precisely and softly providing just adequate support – being firm enough and supportive while at the same time soft and soothing to the wearer
- Has a convenient snap which keeps it in place and can easily attach to luggage
- High IQ dynamic and temperature sensitive memory foam which molds to your natural contours to provide a custom fit
- Has a deluxe velour cover that is not only pleasant to the touch but also machine washable
- Perfect size for easy packing
- Chiropractic recommended
- Design to prevent the wearer from getting a kink
- It’s a bit too thick for some people and it might end up tilting your head forward
Cabeau Evolution Memory Foam Travel Pillow with 360 Head
Not only does the Cabeau Evolution Pillow qualify to be on the list of best travel pillow reviews, it is also one of the most luxurious pillows for long-term usage. It supports the neck, head, and chin all thanks to its 360-degree support that provides all round protection to the user.
All this is provided within moderate dimensions of 24 by 25 by 12 cm weighing approximately 300 grams – meaning it won’t weigh down your luggage.
- Raised side support and a flat black which offers all-around support from the head to the chin unlike other pillows that tend to push your head forward causing annoying pain
- It comes with a removable velour cover which is easy to clean even with a washing machine
- Can be compressed down to a quarter of its normal size for easy packaging and transport
- Fantastic travel option
- Incredibly comfortable
- Offers a complete solution to neck pain thanks to its 360-degree support
- Slightly expensive than some of the best travel pillow units included in this review
Daydreamer Neck Pillow
When it comes to the showdown of the best travel pillow in town, nothing can beat the Daydreamer neck pillow. Unlike other units we have reviewed above, this one inflates at the touch of a button. That means you can pack it up when deflated, and inflate it for use just when you need it.
The best thing is that you don’t even need to put the valve in your mouth; you simply place it on your neck and press the push button for self-inflation.
- Made of micro-velvet fabric that is both soft, luxurious and extremely lightweight
- Comes with a pack sack carabiner clip that you can conveniently attach to your purse or bag as you set out for another adventure
- Has an innovative design that holds your head upright and at the same time maintains proper neck alignment
- Space saver
- Innovative design
- Maintains proper neck alignment
- Cover can be removed easily for cleaning
- May push the head a little too forward (a slight recline)
Comfort Master Best Travel Pillow with Memory Foam
At a glance, the Comfort Master Travel Pillow may appear like just another travel pillow out there. But if you care to take a closer look at it, you will discover that it has more going into it and is able to provide more comfort than other models which presumably resemble it.
First, it is covered by a soft 100% microfiber material which is easy to remove for purposes of cleaning. Inside it is a high-quality memory foam that conforms to your body shape. Its thoughtful design means that the pillow is neither too hard nor too soft – thus creating a perfect blend of support and ultimate comfort.
- Measuring 12 by 11.5 by 3.5 inches, this pillow molds perfectly with different neck sizes and types offering chiropractic benefits
- It is available in 3 different color options which are suitable for both male and female travelers
- It is backed by a 5-year money back guarantee and can be used by both adults and children
- Being one of the best travel pillow units, it features cooling gel technology which prevents a potential problem of heat retention which is commonly reported in memory foam usage
- Impressive design that offers comfort and health benefits
- Comes with money back guarantee which is a great landing just in case you don’t like the product
- Can be used at home and when travelling
- Compared to some of the best travel pillow units which are inflatable, this one takes up more space in your luggage
Tips for Buying the Best Travel Pillow
Go for a pillow whose shape meets your needs. For instance, you can choose a U pillow design to stop your head from rolling sideways when you fall asleep.
If you are looking for better chin support, a J-shaped travel pillow would be a good choice. If you are looking for high-density comfort then a pillow with memory foam filling would be a perfect choice.
On the other hand, if you are looking for a more long-lasting pillow, then polyester fiber filling would be a good bet. You may as well want to go for an inflatable pillow if you really want to maximize on available size particularly if you carry lots of luggage with you.
Given all these factors, our top pick for the best travel pillow is J-Pillow Travel Pillow -- British Invention of the Year 2013 and this is because of its unique design.
Its design provides chin support thereby keeping your neck and head elevated in the perfect sleep position. In addition, its level of technology when measured against the pre-existing user reviews clearly shows that this is something worth giving a try.