After a stressful work-week, a bad sleeping position or bad postures while working on the computer or even your phone, what would you expect? Exactly. Neck pain and stiffness. If not dealt with, this could lead to other problems that hinder your coordination and balance.
What about hiring a masseur? Well, that service doesn’t come cheap. A better alternative for you to invest in would be one of the best neck massagers to help you get the relief you need at any time.
Sounds great? Then, read on to find out the best neck massager for that pain relief you crave.
RESTECK Deep Tissue 3D Kneading Pillow Massager – Best Overall
The neck massager comes with two hanging loops for resting your arms as it massages your neck or back and you can also manually adjust its pressure. Since it’s leather-made, it’s long-lasting and has a bag for you to carry everywhere and a car and wall adaptor that makes it easy for you to use it whenever you want.
Looking for a portable neck massager that’s designed with user convenience in mind and you can use anywhere? Then, the RESTECK is the best neck and back massager for you.
- It’s portable.
- It comes with a carrying bag for convenience.
- Its PU leather material gives the neck massager machine a sleek look.
- Adjustable direction and speed.
- It comes with a heating function.
- It can be plugged into a car charger port with the included adaptor.
- It has 3 speed/intensity settings.
- A flexible design enough for a powerful body massage.
- It’s lightweight.
Zyllion Shiatsu Neck Massager Pillow – Best Portable Neck Massager
The Zyllion Shiatsu Neck Massager is our top recommendation for the best portable shoulder and neck massager as it’s lightweight, comfortable and easy to clean. It is made from a soft leather material massager and features three-dimension deep and powerful kneading nodes that will help you release muscle tension.
This neck-shoulder massager comes with an advanced heating function with options for on/off that help soothe tensed muscles and improve your blood circulation as you get massaged. For different massage techniques, there are 20 massage programs with 10 different intensity settings which also allows you to customize your massage to meet your massaging needs. Overall, this is a comfortable and versatile neck massager with a compact, ergonomic that fits behind your neck.
You can also use this massager on your thighs, lower back abdomen and calf areas for pain relief. It’s quite easy to use and comes with adjustable straps that allow for a snug fit. What we like about the Zyllion Neck Massager is that it has a programmed 15-20 minutes automatic shut off, making it a safe neck massager that also saves on power.
Since it’s quite lightweight, you might be worried if you can get an effective massage experience but there’s nothing to worry about as you could always enough pressure on your neck easily.
- It has an in-built 15 – 20 minutes timer for an auto shutdown.
- It’s quite portable.
- It’s easy to use and durable.
- It’s versatile and can be used on the other parts of the body.
- Adjustable speeds that help you regulate its kneading intensity.
- It’s easy to clean.
- It’s lightweight at 3.5 pounds.
- It comes with adjustable straps for easy chair attachment.
- Its heat intensity isn’t adjustable.
Naipo Shiatsu Back & Neck Massager – Best Value Neck Massager
The Naipo Shiatsu Neck Massager is a brilliant versatile back-neck massager that gets you comfortable and relaxed with ease. This neck massager comes with eight  deep-kneading nodes that will offer you some pain relief as it loosens your tense muscles. It’s a neck massager with heat function that helps to transfer warmth to your muscles and improve your blood circulation.
The Naipo Shiatsu comes with three-speed intensity settings that you can control with the simple press of a button. You can easily choose fast, low, and medium speeds depending on what your body needs. We like this feature as you can change the massager’s intensity as you move it around your body. So, if you like a tougher/rougher back massage, all you’ll need to do is to use it at its maximum intensity.
You can also use it on your other body parts like your legs, lower back, and shoulders. If you enjoy soft foot massages, then all you need to do is to use it at its lower intensity. Overall, it’s an ergonomically U-shaped designed neck-back massager that makes fitting it around your neck stress-free. It runs for 20 minutes and so, achieving a fast pain relief without spending a lot of time and money in the process is made possible.
What’s more? It’s a self-neck massager that you can use anytime and anywhere with ease. Looking for one of the best neck and back massagers? Then you’ve got yourself a winner with this one.
- Therapeutic and relaxing.
- Adjustable intensity settings.
- It has a heat function for soothing muscle pain and increasing blood circulation.
- It’s easy to use whenever and wherever.
- Its ergonomic design makes it easy to target your pain points.
- Great value for money.
- 20 minutes auto shutdown.
- It comes with hand straps so for you to use it on areas that you need to massage.
- Its power cord keeps you in one position till you’re done.
- Only suitable for use when sitting and not in a sleeping position.
RENPHO Hand Held Deep Tissue Massager – Best Handheld Neck Massager
When you need to give your muscles an in-depth massage and revive your lost energy, then the RENPHO Rechargeable Handheld Deep Tissue Massager will give you that relaxing massage on the go.
One remarkable feature of this vibrating neck massager is the detachable massaging head attachments it comes with. These attachments will bring many sensations to all parts of your body in a few minutes whether it’s your shoulders, neck, back, arms, legs and so on. The vibrations from the RENPHO handheld massager can support about 3,600 pulses per minute which relieve tension in your muscles.
It also features an auto shut-off that causes the neck massager to shut down to cool after 20 minutes before you can start it up again. This prevents the roller on the neck massager from overheating. It’s designed for you to use it across your body easily and since it’s cordless, it comes with a built-in rechargeable battery that has a battery life of 140 minutes [2 hours and 20 minutes] before you’ll need to have it recharged.
It’s made from durable ABS plastic that helps to keep its parts protected from external damage and gives the massager’s rolling balls sufficient strength to reach the deep tissues of your muscles. It’s quite easy to use and by just pressing the buttons on its control panel, you can adjust its three power settings, turn it on/off and change the four percussion modes.
If you’re looking for the ideal neck massager that packs flexibility, comfort and firmness in one portable product then the RENPHO Handheld Neck Massager is yours for the taking.
- It comes with five massage head attachments.
- Its powerful motor can support 3,600 pulses for a deep tissue massage.
- It has an auto-stop function that prevents overheating.
- It’s quite easy to operate.
- It’s handheld and so, doesn’t need a power cord to work.
- It’s durable and portable.
- Its design allows you to roll it easily across your body.
- It can only support heavy-duty massage for 140 minutes and would need to be recharged.
- Its percussion massage might seem a little aggressive.
Shiatsu Electric Back & Neck Massager – Best for Full-Body Massage
The Shiatsu Back & Neck massager is the best neck massager with heat for those times you’ll need to massage the muscles of your back, shoulder, and neck. It’s an easy-to-use massager that gently massages the shoulders, neck and even the area between your shoulder blades.
Its special, optional heating function allows you to enjoy an intense massage session that leaves you more relaxed as heat application during massage helps to make massages more effective and comfortable. The Shiatsu electric neck massager has got eight  massage roller balls that will relax your sore muscles. Its kneading nodes give deep massages on your neck, back, calves, thighs, foot, legs and so on.
You can also choose between two massage directions as well to get the ideal massage intensity your body truly needs. This makes it a bi-directional back and neck massager that works efficiently like the hands of a masseur. It’s convenient, portable and durable for use anywhere you are. It also has a wall and car power adapter that allows you to have an electric self-massager whether you’re at the office, home or car.
Looking for an economical alternative to paying frequent visits to a masseur frequent visit? Then, you’ve got a winner with the Shiatsu Electric back-neck massager.
- It comes with an optional heat function.
- Adjustable massage intensity.
- A bi-directional movement to mimic the hands of a masseur.
- It comes with a wall and car adapter for ease of use anywhere.
- It’s portable and durable.
- Its versatility allows it to be used on all parts of the body easily.
- It might seem a little heavy.
- It needs to be plugged in before use.
Nekteck Electric Deep Kneading Massage Pillow – Best for Deep Kneading
When it comes to neck pillow massagers, the Nekteck Electric Deep Kneading Pillow is a quality neck massager that has many of the ideal features you’d expect. It comes with eight  Shiatsu massage nodes that help relieve pain and tension out of your muscles by using a heated massage attribute. As the name says, this neck massager is unique for its deep-kneading action that you can use anywhere on your body.
It’s also designed with three-speed control levels that allow you to adjust three various types of deep massaging and two massage directions that targets a precise massaging-needed area on your body. This would also feel like you’re receiving a professional massage from a masseur.
This powerful back and neck massager comes with a built-in heat function to relieve you from stress. It also has a 10-minute auto-shutoff mechanism for your added safety and to prevent your neck massager from overheating.
It’s versatile and so, you can use it in your home, car or office and get the best massage experience whenever needed. So, if you’ve been looking for an ideal neck pillow massager that you can customize for a deep tissue massage, your search has ended here.
- It has an automatic in-built timer to prevent overheating.
- It comes with a 12V DC supply that allows for safe use at home or in your car.
- It can be used on other body parts.
- It’s easy to operate.
- It’s durable.
- It moves anti-clockwise and clock-wisely imitating the hands of a masseur.
- If pulled too tight, it can cause bruises during a massage.
- It might seem bulky.
- Its auto-shutoff mechanism is every 10 minutes.
MaxKare Shiatsu Neck & Shoulder Massager – Best for Muscle Pains
The MaxKare Shiatsu Shoulder & Neck Massager sets itself apart from other neck massagers with its mesh cover that allows for effective airflow during a heated massage session. It’s another bi-directional neck massager that helps to keep your muscles relieved from aches and soreness.
Its deep-kneading massage is achieved by its eight  bi-directional nodes that mimic a professional’s touch and helps to work out your every muscle. The MaxKare Shiatsu shoulder-neck massager is quite efficient with its heat massaging therapy in soothing your body. There are three intensity settings to customize the massager to how you like it best.
The neck massager has a contour shape that makes it easy for you to fit it against the outlines of your waist, lower back, legs, and abdomen. This is one versatile massager to use at your office, home or car as it comes with AC and car charger adapters to allow for a soothing massage at the office, home while driving and or anywhere else.
Overall, this is a high-quality massager with a 15-minute automatic shut off timer for added safety and overheating protection. So, if you need some deep tissue kneading and effective relief for the stiff muscles on your shoulder and neck without sacrificing on comfort, then those are the same features that make the MaxKare neck massager one of the best neck massagers out there.
- Comfortable design.
- Bi-directional kneading node movement.
- An in-built automatic timer setting for protection and safety.
- Breathable mesh cover for even heat dispersion.
- It’s made from high-quality PU leather.
- Might be uncomfortable against the back.
- Its netting might feel rough against the skin.
- It needs to be plugged to be used and goes off after 15 minutes to cool down.
Papillon Shiatsu Deep Kneading Massage Pillow – Best Massage Pillow for Back
When looking for the best back massager, the Papillion Shiatsu Massage Pillow is not one to overlook. It’s the perfect massager to help you get rid of muscle soreness and tension. It works great on the neck and back and so, it’s ideal for unwinding after a stressful day.
With its ergonomic contoured design, it’s easy for it to fit with your different body parts and so, delivers superb performance with its four 3D massage nodes that are powerful enough to support your massaging needs. We like that it can automatically change its direction every minute as it relieves you of foot, neck, shoulder, back and leg pains. This allows for all the core parts of your body to get calmer and improve blood circulation. It’s equipped with a modern overheat protection device and a 15-minute timer that makes it safe and convenient to use.
We also love the multifunctional structure of this massage pillow. With its three adjustable speeds, you can set the right pressure amount you need to relieve you of any muscle pain. Its infrared heating temperature is at 45℃ which is ideal for the normal human body temperature. This prevents low-temperature burns and helps to make this massager provide a relaxing deep tissue massage.
Since it’s made from soft fabric, it’s durable, gentle and cozy on the skin. If you’ve been looking for one of the best neck pillow massagers that will serve as a perfect gift idea then this is worth considering.
- It helps to relieve muscle tension.
- It contours smoothly with different body parts
- It’s equipped with an overheat protection device
- It’s made from a soft and durable fabric.
- Multipurpose design with three adjustable speed levels.
- Needs to be plugged in for use.
- It will need to cool after 15 minutes before it can be used again.
- The power cord’s design needs more improvement.
- Its heat setting is preset and can’t be changed.
MoCuishle Shiatsu Neck & Back Massager – Best Therapeutic Massager
MoCuishle is one brand that’s dedicated to developing high-end massagers that help to put mind and body at ease and the MoCuishle Shiatsu Neck & Back Massager isn’t an exception. What we like best about this massager is that it’s appropriate for a variety of users. Thanks to its ergonomic design, you can place the massager at the right spot to provide the most effective massage experience.
Another ideal feature that it has is its bi-directional feature eight  deep-kneading nodes which means that the nodes begin the massage in one direction and would change direction during the massage for a full massage experience. This is ideal if you’re suffering from chronic pain and with since it’s made from breathable mesh, it’s a low-maintenance massager.
It also comes with a heating function that provides the extra therapeutic heat therapy best known for relieving acute muscle pain. You can drape the massager around your shoulders and it’s compact enough to be used in your car but don’t use while driving.
The MoCuishle Massager offers a two-step safety function which is an in-built 15-minutes automatic shut off and an overheat protection function that turns off the massager if it exceeds the ideal working temperature. This safety function will protect you from getting burned and your device from overheating.
This is a great massager if you’ve got cervical spondylosis or back, leg and waist pain or if you always feel fatigued or nervous.
- Ideal for older adults
- It comes with bi-directional kneading nodes
- It has a safe and stable copper motor inside for a stable massage energy
- It comes with an overheat protection and auto shut off.
- Not ideal for use while driving.
- Its massages might feel a bit intense.
- It doesn’t have adjustable intensity settings.
- The heat isn’t as intense at the beginning.
MagicMakers Shiatsu Neck and Back Massager – Best for Headaches and Other Health Benefits
The MagicMakers Shiatsu Neck & Back Massager is designed with a multifunctional cover to provide a soft pampering massage for you as it helps you relieve fatigue, stress, muscle pain and improve your mood. It also has eight  powerful 3-dimension deep-kneading nodes equipped with heat and no-heat setting that helps make you feel more relaxed.
Its built-in bi-directional movement control imitates the movement of a masseur’s hands and so, auto-reverses every minute for an even massage distribution and provides a more thorough treatment. It comes with a copper motor inside for better efficiency and a 15 minutes over-heating auto-shutoff protection. Its compact and lightweight design makes it quite easy for you to carry around and a high-elastic Velcro shoulder strap that works for most chairs.
Besides its ability to relax muscles, this neck-shoulder massager increases the dopamine and serotonin feel-good hormones, lowers your body’s level of cortisol [stress hormone] by 53%, improves flexibility and joint movement and increases blood circulation.
If you haven’t decided on an ideal gift for your loved one yet, then this is a good gift idea. It’s also ideal for your shoulders, neck, feet, legs, and calves. Besides being versatile and having many health benefits, this massager is also a budget-friendly neck massager if you need an urgent massager to reduce any pain that wants to slow you down.
- Ideal for headaches and other health issues.
- You can adjust its pressure.
- It gives a deep tissue massage.
- It has a short power cord.
- It’s not quite durable.
- It’s not a strong unit.
- Its motor is weak.
Finding the best neck massager might appear harder than it is since there are many models out there that look similar at first glance. Well, that’s why we put this buying guide together to let you know and understand the features you’ll need to look out for in neck pain massagers. With this, it’s easier to make sure that you only go for the most efficient and effective massager that suits your needs.
The Massaging Technique
Every shoulder-neck massager uses at least one or more of these massage techniques:
- Shiatsu: This technique, when done by a masseur, is performed by rolling the thumbs, palms, and fingers over certain pain points to give you relaxation and muscle relief. The massagers with this technique imitate this with their rotating nodes on an axis.
- Vibration: This technique is more common in large massage chairs or pads and when included in neck massagers, it works to relax your muscles and stimulate blood flow.
- Kneading Massage: When performed by a masseur, your skin and muscles get pressed against the surfaces of your bones. In neck massagers, the kneading nodes imitate this technique and help to release tense muscles, improve flexibility and increase blood circulation which is vital for a healthy body. It’s great for athletes and anyone looking to have an improved physical fitness appearance.
- Percussion: Most neck pillow massagers offer a percussion-style massage that creates an intense sensation as they work out your muscles. It gives deeper and high-intensity massages that’s close to the deep-tissue one you’d get when you visit the spa.
- Heat Therapy: Heated neck massagers warm your muscles up which imitates the effect of stretching. It helps to improve your flexibility, rid your body of tight muscle knots and improves blood circulation. This is due to the blood carrying oxygen to your muscles at a higher rate, getting rid of lactic acid in your muscles and relieving them of soreness and tightness. Heat therapy will also reduce inflammation in your muscles and joints plus increase your immunity.
The Power Source
Neck massagers come with different power sources. The battery-powered massagers are rechargeable and will offer you the best portability. However, some neck massagers might need to be changed after the batteries die out as there might not be replaceable batteries. When it comes to electric neck massagers, there will be a power cord or car adapter provided for it to be used but there’s lower portability.
Each neck massager machine can be grouped into three: no portability, limited portability, and good portability. A neck massager with no portability is one that comes with a short power cord and lacks a car adapter. A neck massager with limited portability have longer power cords but restricts your movement to the cord’s length. A neck massager with good portability is cordless and usually comes with a car charger.
Although neck massagers are made for massaging your shoulders and neck, they can also be used for other parts of your body as well. The weight of the neck massager plays an important role in how versatile it would be. The lighter the massaging pillow, the easier it will be for you to move it where you want it to be and to keep it there until the auto minute massage session is over. If a shoulder and neck massager is heavy, you’ll find it difficult holding it in place for a long period.
The total number of massage nodes it uses and how the nodes are distributed also determine the versatility of the massager. Massaging pillows that come with kneading nodes work best for massaging your other body parts like the legs, hips, and backs
While massagers that have fewer massage nodes which are equally distributed on either side of the massager still do great at massaging those small surfaces like your neck from several angles.
The size of the massager also determines how versatile it is. The massager’s size makes it easy to move the massaging pillow and ensures that it fits on the essential parts of your body. Larger massaging units are ideal choices if you’d like to use them on your lower back, thighs, feet, and hips. Their large surfaces make them appropriate for these parts of your body as you’ll get to massage your muscles all at once.
Large neck massagers won’t be quite comfortable when massaging your neck most especially if you’ve got a slender build. Medium-sized massagers are the perfect choice if you’re searching for a very versatile model. They’re lean enough to massage your neck properly and big enough to massage your thighs and lower back without wasting time. Small neck massagers are perfect for your feet and neck but would take a longer time to massage your entire back.
Shoulder and neck massage pillows usually have handles that help maintain the massager’s position for long periods. But, some massagers with handles come with hand pockets while others don’t. What we like about these pockets is that you can easily move your hands while keeping the massager’s position in check. This is an ideal feature most especially if you’d like to use the neck massager while working on your computer. Another benefit is some hand pockets have an in-built vibration feature that massages your wrists and hands.
What is the Best Shoulder and Neck Massager?
What Benefits Can I Get from a Neck Massager?
Do Neck Massagers Beat Spa or Professional Massages?
What Is the Best Massage Technique for the Neck?
Where is the Best Place to Buy a Neck Massager?
How We Tested
While searching for the best neck pain massagers, we discovered that there were many models available on Amazon which seemed overwhelming at first but we were able to narrow the list down by removing the low-rated models and going for the high-rated ones. Next, we got a small test group made up of five people together [of different ages and other demographics] because what works for one person might be terrible or different for another.
For the first round of testing, we and the testing/focus group studied each of the massager’s functionality, their portability, and general build quality and we recorded the responses. Design and aesthetics might not be so important but if they all found the designs tacky, then that could affect the massager’s usability as well.
For the second round of testing, we wanted to know how much relaxed their muscles felt after using each massager. Pain relief is the most important determiner of the perfect neck massager and so, to make sure that we were getting the right results, we asked each member of the test group to classify what they considered as ‘pain relief’ since it’s subjective and different for everyone. Once they had done that, we told them to rate the massagers based on the standards they set.
For the third round of testing, we asked them to give their feedback on which massagers were straightforward and easy to operate for muscle pain relief and the ones that weren’t.
Then, we asked them how they found the ergonomics and shape of each neck massager as that determines if the neck massagers will be used over and over again or thrown aside after the first use.
To wrap it up, the best neck massager on the market is the RESTECK Shiatsu Shoulder & Neck Massager as it offers the perfect combination of relaxed muscles, improved blood circulation, relief from pain and ease of operation. So, if you’re after a high-quality neck massager that is identical to a visit to the spa or masseur, the RESTECK is our top recommendation.
If you’re looking for a more portable neck massager then the Zyllion Shiatsu Massage Pillow is a perfect choice as well.
What matters most is to find the best massager for neck pain that will help you maximize all the health benefits related to regular massages. The good news is that our reviews and buying guide will make your search easier.