To say Benchmade Griptilian knives are among the most useful tools known to handy men and women is no exaggeration.
For many years, these knives have helped us hunt for dinner, defend against crime, slice open boxes and even cut food.
But why is finding the perfect product so damn hard?
We compare 10 Benchmade Griptilian knife models to see which one of them really offers the best value for money.
This Benchmade Griptilian has been a top contender in the Benchmade catalog for several years. Its reputation as a go-to EDC knife has been lauded. One thing about it is that it is an extremely utilitarian piece. It is both practical and neutral from its bottom to top making it suitable as an everyday carry knife. Moreover, Benchmade Knife 551 Griptillian Plain Edge Satin Finish Blade Black Handle is available in a wide range of sizes, colors, and options.
- 100% ambidextrous design which taps into the Benchmade Griptilian knife’s small but hardened steel bar.
- The handle of the knife is home to two omega style springs, each conveniently located on a liner giving the lock mechanism the tang it needs to respond to the user’s demands.
- Has a plain blade with satin finish. Its handle material is made of black nylon material. Finally, it has a standard, reversible tip-up clip style.
- Solidly built, sharp blade
- Excellent lock mechanism
- Lightweight and easy to carry around
- Some users complain that the handle is too small for comfortable handling
Benchmade Knife 551
Yotube Video Review: Benchmade Knife 551
Born of custom knife maker Mel Pardue’s wish to have a knife with a functional design, the 557 Tanto Mini Benchmade Griptilian is built to release its ferocity with a thumb stud. At its very heart is the patented AXIS locking mechanism.
In addition, the knife has a rock solid ambidextrous functionality, which is sure to tame even the most die-hard of situations. The knife can be used for general light duty tasks. It holds up well and there is absolutely no side-to-side play even when you handle difficult tasks such as whittling of hardwood or quick free your 4-cycle weed eater from debris.
- 100% ambidextrous design which, ensures you get maximum impact from a small yet hardened steel bar which rides backwards and front-wise inside a slot machine that is anchored on steel liners.
- Like the Japanese tanto, this Benchmade Griptilian knife features a high point in-line with the pivot alongside a flat grind that is applied precisely making it extraordinarily strong. The thickness helps it absolved the impact from a piercing.
- Made of premium-grade stainless steel the Benchmade Griptilian knife was initially developed for intensive industrial applications. The metal is not only tough but also corrosion resistant.
- Handle is textured to enhance grip
- Movable carrying clip
- Axis lock mechanism
- Limited lifetime warranty
- The handle is rather thin and if you’re not careful you may end up with a nasty blister
Benchmade Knife 557
Yotube Video Review: Benchmade Knife 557
This Benchmade Griptilian is designed with a textured grip, which is molded for easy handling and premium function. Its stainless steel is firm and corrosion resistant stretching for 154CM, which is just enough to handle all manner of day-to-day tasks.
To top it up, the knife has ambidextrous thumb studs for ease-of-use. Weighing at slightly over 3 oz, this Benchmade Griptilian stands out as your lightweight, go-to choice.
- Its handle is made of orange nylon material, which is molded in such a way that it feels great in your hand. Inside the blade, there are omega style springs which give the locking bar its inertia to engage the knife tang.
- The blade is made of high-grade stainless steel material with a thickness of 0.115 inches. Extending for a whopping 154 CM, this blade is recommended for tough industrial applications.
- This Benchmade Griptilian utilizes AXIS lock mechanism. This is exclusive, patented technology acquires its function from a steel bar that rides forward and back via a slot machined into dual steel liners.
- Solidly built
- Ambidextrous design
- Great locking mechanism
- The handle has a plasticky feel
Benchmade Griptilian 551
Yotube Video Review: Benchmade Griptilian 551
This is an extremely versatile knife that comes with a premium stainless steel drop-point blade measuring 154CM. The blade can be sharpened on both sides and is amazingly sharp when you remove it out of the box. Its handle comprises glass-reinforced polymer grips with a tightly textured surface with grips that fit perfectly in the hand providing ample comfort.
In addition, the knife is foldable and once it is folded it easily fits in your pocket. The most outstanding aspect of Benchmade Griptilian Knife is that it has an AXIS locking mechanism which is reinforced with ambidextrous thumb-studs.
- Its blade is made of stainless steel whose grade of toughness and corrosion resistance is known for its durability and effectiveness. This Benchmade Griptilian blade is modified with drop-points and ambidextrous thumb studs.
- The handle is specially designed for tip-up carrying and it comes straight from the factory positioned on the right side (although you can always reposition it to the left side if you wish).
- The handle is further enhanced with a patented AXIS locking mechanism that is well advanced compared to lock back and liner lock systems in terms of strength and reliability.
- Solid and reliable lock up
- Perfect ergonomics
- Grippy textured handle
- Loud locking click
Benchmade Griptilian 551
Yotube Video Review: Benchmade Griptilian 551
From a glance, this looks like the right knife for serious knife enthusiasts who are looking to invest in a “daily driver” that holds an edge extremely well and is small in the footprint at the same time. Its blade is entirely made of steel offering approximately 154 CM of the surface.
On the flipside, though, Benchmade Knife 556-BLU Mini Griptilian Satin Blade Blue Handle is rough and therefore cannot be sharpened to surgical precision like other VG-10 blades. Try a good electric knife sharpener to keep the knife in perfect condition.
- This is one durable knife thanks to its fairly large bevel. If you use a knife sharpening system with set levels you may find that this bevel tends to rub excessively on the sharpening tool. If not careful, that might damage the blade.
- Its safety and efficacy are enhanced by the presence of an AXIS patented lock. This lock produces a solid click on the knife similar to the sound of a shotgun. Inside the handle are two strong springs that hold the blade steady and release it when you need it.
- The blade edge is plain and the blade finish color is satin. The clip style is standard with reversible tip-up. The handle material is made of glass-filled nylon.
- Excellent blade sharpness
- Great craftsmanship
- Perfecting EDC size
- Wonderful pocket clip
- Handle material feels a bit stiff on the first days of using it; You may get used to it over time – as your hand hardens
Benchmade Griptilian 556
Yotube Video Review: Benchmade Griptilian 556
This Mini Benchmade Griptilian knife is absolutely a fantastic EDC option. Measuring 6 inches by 3 inches by 1.5 inches while weighing 0.8 ounces only, it is lightweight, sturdy and very well made.
It has all the excellent features of the classic Griptilian but in a smaller, easier to manage package. It is also a knife with a proven track record and has earned its place as one of the frequently recommended EDC knives.
- Plain edge 3″ modified sheepsfoot blade of 154 cm stainless steel with durable titanium BP1 finish.
- Strong axis locking mechanism with an ambidextrous thumb hole opener that works quite well hence you can easily open and close the knife with one hand.
- Glass-filled nylon handle with a standard reversible carry clip and is made in the USA.
- Small but the hardened bar of steel that usually houses the blade in between two steel liners allowing the AXIS to function properly.
- Easy to sharpen
- Stays put in your pocket
- Feels solid
- Holds an edge quite well
- Does not arrive as sharp as Benchmade advertises
Benchmade Mini Griptilian
Yotube Video Review: Benchmade Mini Griptilian
This is a knife that is friendly enough to use in public without questions, compact enough to comfortably carry, and still big and sharp enough to slice through food, ropes, and wire with ease like a fine benchtop drill press. Known for its outstanding bits of quality, this Benchmade Griptilian is tough and corrosion resistant.
In addition to that is a molded olive drab handle that is easy to grip, making Benchmade Pardue Design Axis Mini-Griptilian Drop-Point Blade with Ambidexterous Thumb Studs and BK1 Coating a great buy.
- Has an overall length of 6.78 inches when opened and 3.87 inches when closed. The blade length, on the other hand, is 2.91 inches only.
- Features a sturdy, spring loaded axis locking mechanism that works smoothly for ease of operation.
- Reversible pocket clip and a silky carrying sheath for ease of carrying and storage purposes. You can clip it to your belt or pocket and go wherever you want without worrying about anything.
- 154 CM blade which is entirely made of stainless steel with modified drop point and ambidextrous simple push of the thumb-stud openers.
- BK1 coating that offers great corrosion protection with higher scratch resistance beyond the spec of salt water.
- Excellent design — the Pardue design
- Made in the USA
- Holds an edge better than most Benchmade Griptilian knives in the same price range
- Easy to carry around
- Doesn’t come razor sharp out of the box
Benchmade Griptilian with Gray and Blue G10 Handle knife has an overall length of 8.07 inches when opened, 4.62 inches when closed, a 3.45 inches blade, weighs 4.17 ounces and is made in America. It is almost an ounce heavier than the original Benchmade Griptilian but it doesn’t feel heavy for its size.
It has a handle that is fully 3-D machined and boasts bright-blue liners and anodized blue backspacers beneath gray overlays. Though this is not a cheap knife, it is wonderfully made hence you can be sure to get what you pay for.
- Axis locking mechanism featuring drop point ambidextrous thumb studs and a clip. This allows the blade to open and close effortlessly.
- Plain blade edge with satin finish and standard reversible tip-up.
- CPM-20CV stainless steel blade. This type of steel is advertised as a steel with high corrosion resistance, and good toughness as it has high chromium content.
- Boasts integral grip texture that offers the traction which is quite essential to the Grip family.
- Great for outdoor and everyday survival
- The blue accents set this model apart from other Benchmade Griptilian
- Blade is perfectly centered
- Has a reliable axis
- Pricey but worth it
Benchmade Griptilian G10
Yotube Video Review: Benchmade Griptilian G10
With the ability to resist rust even in the worst of conditions while maintaining ample edge retention, this Benchmade 551-H20 Griptilian folding knife is a brainchild of Mel Pardue who envisions a knife that offers awesome utility for routine use. It is lightweight, easy to use and relatively slim hence comfortably pocketable.
- Measures 8.07 inches when opened, 4.62 inches when closed, 3.45 inches blade length while weighing 3.82 ounces.
- Blade lock utilizes Benchmade’s own Axis Lock Technology and ambidextrous thumb stud opener which consists of a spring loaded steel bar that seats itself into a notch in the blade.
- Grip textured molded orange (H20) handle that helps in keeping the weight down and the durability up.
- 154cm stainless steel blade with 58-60HRC hardness. It has the drop point blade shape.
- Made in the USA and comes with a reversible carry-clip for left/right side carry.
- Easy to maintain
- Uses one of the safest locking designs in the world
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Well built
- Sometimes the locking mechanism gets stuck when flipping it open but this improves with time
Benchmade Griptillian H20
Yotube Video Review: Benchmade Griptillian H20
If you are looking for a decent EDC knife that is made in America, this Benchmade Griptilian 556S-YEL blade is a great choice. It is reinforced with a resin handle a feat that makes it a solid performer which is convenient to carry with you anytime.
- Features a reversible pocket clip, textured glass fill Noryl GTX yellow-colored valox handles and ambidextrous thumb stud.
- Boasts Benchmade Griptilian patented Axis lock for easy opening and closing. It works for both right and left-handed individuals.
- Double 410-stainless liners which add more strength to the handle of the knife.
- 154CM drop-point blade with a partially serrated edge and free Smith’s sharpener.
- Backed by Benchmade Griptilian lifetime warranty
- Has a solid feel
- The clip may loosen up with time but can be easily fixed
Yotube Video Review: Benchmade Mini-Griptilian
|Product Name||Image||Blade||Overall Rating||Details|
|Benchmade Knife 551 Griptilian Knife||3.45"||10||Check price|
|Benchmade Knife 557 Mini Griptilian Tanto||2,91"||9.5||Check price|
|Benchmade Knife 551-ORG Satin Blade Griptilian||3.45"||9.5||Check price|
|Benchmade Griptilian Knife||3.45"||9||Check price|
|Knife 556-BLU Mini Benchmade Griptilian||2.91"||9.5||Check price|
|Benchmade 555HG Pardue Design Mini-Griptilian Plain Edge Knife||2.91"||9||Check price|
|Benchmade Pardue Design Axis Mini-Griptilian Drop-Point Blade||3.45"||9.5||Check price|
|Benchmade Griptilian with Gray and Blue G10 Handle||3.45"||9||Check price|
|Benchmade 551-H20 Griptilian Folding Knife||3.45"||8||Check price|
|Benchmade 556S-YEL AXIS Lock Mini Griptilian w/Partially Serrated Blade||2.91"||8||Check price|
Tips on How to Choose a Knife
You need to consider the following things:
- Functionality — what do you need the knife for
- Handle material
- Fixed blade VS folding blade
- Type of locking mechanism
- Blade shape
- Types of blade steels