You’ve tried everything but your knife just doesn’t cut the way it used to. Well, we’ve all been there, and we know how messy it gets in the kitchen when our knives lose their sharpness. Here’s the truth you don’t really pay attention to: any blade will get dull with time! But you know what else? There’s a way to make your knife sharp again. That’s right – an electric knife sharpening tool can efficiently make a knife work like a brand new one. This best electric knife sharpener review will clear all your doubts. At the end of this article you will know which of the models will work best for your knife and how to shop for one, so, let’s get started!
The Knife & Tool Sharpener By Work Sharp
- This unit works easily and quickly to sharpen all kinds of knives, with the ability to repeat its consistent results. Whether you own a kitchen, hunting, outdoor, filet, pocket or tactical knife, it can easily sharpen curved, straight, tanto, re-curved and any shape of the blade.
- The extraordinary abrasive belts featured in this model allow it to fulfill all your sharpening requirements including fine, coarse and medium.
- This versatile tool works equally well on tools such as axes, mower blades, hatchets, shovels, garden shears, etc.
- It is the go-to electric knife sharpener for the money that is manufactured in the US and has been satisfying users for more than 40 years.
- Results are immediate and impressive
- This versatile tool is the perfect complete solution for your knives and tools
- It can be easily customized according to your requirements
- The product’s warranty period is only for a year
Work Sharp: Knife and Tool Sharpener
Yotube Video Review: Work Sharp: Knife and Tool Sharpener
Work Sharp: Knife and Tool Sharpener User ManualView this manual
Read and follow the safety instructions. Keep Instructions readily available. Make certain you understand how to safely and correctly operate the product.
The 15 Trizor Edge Select By Chef’sChoice
- Your traditional knife with 20-degree edge can be conveniently converted into a high-performance blade with this product
- It uses the advanced technology for the stropping stage with 100% diamond abrasives to ensure razor-sharp edges for serrated and straight blades
- The patented, advanced spring guides are flexible, which ensure accurate control and automatic adjustment of sharpening angle; and a simple off/on switch makes it easy to use this product
- The 3-stage sharpening system adds to the versatility of this product, with the first 2 stages plated with diamond abrasives (100%) and stage 3 using a flexible system for prolonging and polishing serrated knives
- The durability and strength of this product makes it flawless, and it can sharpen blades within a minute, with the ability to resharpen within a matter of 10 seconds
- Sharpening knives is a matter of seconds using this product
- It provides the perfect edge owing to its 15-degree technology
- It works well with both double-edge and single edge knives
- It comes with 3-year warranty (limited)
- It can convert be used to convert any blade to 15 degrees only
- There have been some complaints about the model putting a strain on knives
Why America's Test Kitchen Calls the Chef's Choice Trizor XV
Yotube Video Review: Why America's Test Kitchen Calls the Chef's Choice Trizor XV
The 120 Diamond Hone By Chef’sChoice
- The 3-stage electric sharpening machine ensures precision in angle control, with the first 2 stages work to offer arch-shaped edge using diamond abrasives (100%) and stage 3 uses stropping disk (flexible) to polish the ultra-sharp bevel
- It is highly stable, and you can secure the unit to use it safely
- It comes with a three-year household guarantee
- It can be used to sharpen various kinds of knives including chef’s knife, sporting knife and butcher’s knife.
- The Trizor-Plus edge adds to the sharpness and durability of your knife
- The diamond abrasive (100%) featured in this product doesn’t distemper
- It can be used to sharpen chef’s knives, butcher knives, sporting knives (kitchen) as well as serrated knives
- It uses 3-stage for accurate sharpening
- It comes with 3-year guarantee (household)
- It is a bit highly-priced
Chef's Choice Model 120 Knife Sharpening Station
Yotube Video Review: Chef's Choice Model 120 Knife Sharpening Station
The Edgecraft 130 By Chef’sChoice
- This knife sharpening machine comes with 100% diamond abrasives that offer 3-stage sharpening, with the 1ST and 3rd stage electric and the 2nd stage manual
- It can sharpen and strop almost all types and brands of knives
- It is made from super-hardened steel and features a stropping disk (flexible)
- The angle-guides in this product ensure foolproof sharpening
- It is highly stable and can be used simply by using the off/on switch
- It comes with 3-year warranty (limited)
- It offers quick and efficient sharpening
- It combines both manual and electric processes for better sharpening
- It works well on serrated and straight knives
- It does not require lubricants for sharpening
- NSF certification adds to safety in use
- It is a bit expensive
- Some users have complained that it tends to scratch the blades
Chef's Choice Model 130 Knife Sharpening Station
Yotube Video Review: Chef's Choice Model 130 Knife Sharpening Station
If you are in the habit of leaving your knife soaking in water (in your kitchen sink), stop doing so immediately, as long exposure to water dullens your knife’s blade.
1520 AngleSelect Sharpener
- The product uses 100% diamond abrasives along with stropping/polishing disks (flexible) for creating an arch-edge to add durability and sharpness to your knife
- It is approved by ETL or UL as well as Canada
- The machine is engineered as well as assembled in the US
- Simple and easy to operate
- It is highly versatile
- It comes with 3-year warranty
- Control can be a problem with this product
Chef's Choice 3-stage Model 1520 Electric Angle Select Knife Sharpeners
Yotube Video Review: Chef's Choice 3-stage Model 1520 Electric Angle Select Knife Sharpeners
Chef's Choice Model 1520 Electric Angle Select Knife Sharpener User ManualView this manual
Read these instructions before use. It is essential that you follow these instructions to achieve optimum results.
The Edgecraft 270 By Chef’sChoice
- It offers razor-sharp edge using the hybrid, 3-stage technology that combines manual and electric sharpening
- It is ideal for sharpening serrated as well as straight blades, be it pocket knife, sporting knife, or even household knife
- The new criss-cross technology provides simultaneous sharpening with burr-free, superior edge
- The first 2 stages offer electric sharpening, while stage 3 is all about manual honing to provide durable, arch-edge
- It comes with 1-year household warranty and is assembled in the US
- Reasonably-priced product with quality sharpening
- It is user-friendly
- It works quickly and efficiently
- There are some users who have complained that this product works only on kitchen knives
Chef'sChoice 220 Hybrid
Yotube Video Review: Chef'sChoice 220 Hybrid
The Edgecraft 320 By Chef’sChoice
- It comes with patented unique polishing and stropping stage
- It offers 2-stage sharpening to ensure long-lasting and durable edges
- The 100% diamond abrasives offer better sharpening without being distempered
- The spring guides are elastomeric to provide accuracy in angle while sharpening
- It is a completely safe unit
- The product is a patented unique sharpening unit that offers amazing polish
- It is very safe to use on knives
- The product ensures sharpening at correct angle because of its spring guides (elastomeric)
- The 100% diamond sharpening doesn’t distemper
- The model offers long-lasting sharp edges with its 2-stage sharpening
- The product works well except with certain issues
The PEtec Electric Knife Sharpener By Wusthof
- It comes with easy operation
- You need to pull through 3 to 4 times for stage 1
- Stage 2 requires 1 to 2 times pull through
- Stage 3 requires 3 to 4 times pull through
- It can be used very conveniently
- Sharpening process takes place in 3 stages
- It keeps knives sharper for a longer timespan
- The product is unique and stylish in design
- It is a bit expensive but worth every penny
Wusthof PEtec Electric Knife Sharpener
Yotube Video Review: Wusthof PEtec Electric Knife Sharpener
We’ll let you in on a ceramic knife secret- it’s chemically inert, which means you can use it to cut fruits/vegetables without causing them to brown.
The Edgecraft 100W By Chef’sChoice
- Razor sharpness is possible using this product owing to its orbiting motion
- The 3-stage process includes presharpening, sharpening as well as honing
- The magnetic guides ensure that the blade stays in position while being sharpened
- It comes with 100% diamond abrasives that can easily sharpen stainless-steel and carbon knives
- You get a 2-year warranty in case of any defect
- It is reasonably-priced
- It offers professional results
- Using this product is both easy and quick
- It takes a long time to sharpen at different angles
- It does not work on serrated knives
The Firestone Electric Knife Sharpener By Mcgowan
- This McGowan electric knife sharpening unit can be operated with great ease to get sharper blades
- It comes with sharpening wheels that are made from ceramics
- The product is super-fast, and it provides sharpening in just a single step
- It is the US made product
- This product can sharpen both blade sides simultaneously
- It works on all kinds of knives
- It takes very little time to sharpen a blade
- The product can easily polish the blade edge
- It may be a bit noisy
- If it is used improperly it may ruin your knife
|Product Name||Image||Stages||Overall Rating||Details|
|The Knife & Tool Sharpener By Work Sharp||1||10||Check price|
|The 15 Trizor Edge Select By Chef’sChoice||3||9.5||Check price|
|The 120 Diamond Hone By Chef’sChoice||3||9.5||Check price|
|The Edgecraft 130 By Chef’sChoice||3||9||Check price|
|The 1520 AngleSelect||3||8||Check price|
|The Edgecraft 270 By Chef’sChoice||3||8.5||Check price|
|The Edgecraft 320 By Chef’sChoice||3||8||Check price|
|The PEtec Electric knife Sharpener By Wusthof||3||8||Check price|
|The Edgecraft 100W By Chef’sChoice||3||7.5||Check price|
|The Firestone Electric Knife Sharpener By Mcgowan||1||7.5||Check price|
While some of these models are cost-effective, none are under $50. If you are on a tight budget, you can also search for the best electric knife sharpener under $50 online.
How To Choose Electric Knife Sharpener – Buyer’s Guide
- Abrasive Surface – Diamonds are considered to be the hardest material, closely followed by polished ceramic and tungsten carbide. Grit is used to measure the abrasiveness of any sharpening unit, the higher it is the better and finer the abrasiveness of the tool will be. Anything between 1000-grit and 120-grit will get the job done for you.
- Performance – The best sharpening tool is the one that is known for its performance, which is essentially its potential to create a consistently smooth, keen edge without any scratches.
- Sharpening Stages – While coarse abrasive reshapes the blade edges, the finer abrasives polish and enhance its longevity. Investing in a sharpening machine with multiple stages for sharpening is therefore crucial.
- Angle Guide – If the serrated electric knife sharpener features an adjustable, accurate angle guide; even the most inexperienced user can sharpen the blade at the right angle.
- Safety – The sharpening machine should also be safe enough to be used for sharpening, especially because you’re dealing with potentially dangerous stuff like tools and knives. It is essential that this tool comes with added stability and rails so that any untoward incident can be avoided.
And finally, it would help you a great deal if the customer support and warranty period of the product is impressive, especially if it is a high-end model.
Knife Blade Types
How To Use The Best Electric Knife Sharpener
- Step no.1- Place your knife blade in the provided slot. Make sure that the knife’s heel is pressed down so much so that it connects with the tool’s grinding stone. Begin with the knife heel and then slowly pull through to its tip.
- Step no.2- Next, slide your knife through the machine’s slot. Make sure that the blade is angled between 15 and 20 degrees. The unit will set the knife handle automatically as it gets pulled through the machine slot to connect with the stone (grinding).
- Step no.3- Pass the knife blade slowly through two times (each side). Generally, electric sharpening models are highly efficient, so two passes are sufficient for reshaping as well as sharpening the knife blade.
- Step no.4- Repeat this process on the tool’s finer stones. Since your blade has already been reshaped by passing it through the coarse stone, you need to polish it by passing it two times through the finer grit.
- Step no.5- Finally, you need to rinse your knife and then dry it.
How To Tell That It’s Time To Sharp The Knife
Using a dull knife for cutting is not only going to make your work more difficult, but it can also be dangerous to use a dull knife. There is no warning signal to remind you that your knife needs sharpening, but the following signs can help you understand that it is time to get your knife sharpened:
- The Dull Feeling
- Paper Test
You can resort to a magazine page or standard paper (white) to find out whether your knife blade is sharp or dull. It is an easy and fast way to test the knife blade’s sharpness. Holding the white paper upright in one hand, you need to use your other hand to hold your knife exactly at the topmost edge of the paper to slice it downward. While a knife that is sharp will slice it in two pieces, a blunt one will rip it unevenly.
- Tomato Smashing
Electric Knife Sharpener Vs Stone
Electric Knife Sharpener Vs Manual Sharpener
Homemade Electric Knife Sharpener
Want to know how you can make an electric knife sharpening unit at home? This is something you won’t find in most electric knife sharpener reviews. The following lines describe how you can build an electric sharpening tool on your own without much difficulty. You can use this machine on different types of knives as well as tools at home. Things You Will Need
- 1 inch thick MDF
- Buffing/Sharpening Compound
- Hex-nuts (2)
- Washers (2, small)
- Spray lubricant
- Hole Saw (89 mm, 3.5”)
- A Drill-bit Set
- Woodworking Machine (6-in-1)
- Safety Goggles, respirator and earmuff for safety
Preparation Time – 1 hour (approx.) This homemade electric sharpening tool is fairly easy to build, and requires a minimum amount of investment.
- Step no.1- With the help of your Hole Saw (89 mm), cut through the MDF in your Drill-Press. Make sure you clamp down the MDF tightly on your table as MDF is generally very heavy. Once drilling is over, you need to pop the lug out.
- Step no.2- Assemble the woodworking machine on your bench grinder, and then clamp it on the table. Using this machine remove all those threads that lie close to the screw’s head portion. You can add water to the screw every now and then to avoid any airborne dust.
- Step no.3- Measure the height from the table to the bolt (should be approximately 5 cm), and then drill a hole into the plywood scrap piece at 5 cm distance from the bottom portion.
- Step no.4- Insert your bolt through the plywood hole, and then add a washer and a nut. Next, insert your wheel, and add the second washer and nut. Make sure the bolt’s end is secured within the chuck of the drill. Place the wood scrap piece underneath the drill, and clamp everything onto the table tightly. Now, lubricate your bolt to lower the friction within the plywood.
- Step no.5- If in case the wheel (plug) burns during drilling due to friction produced by high speed, you need to push your Drill-Press handle downward for a fraction of a second, and then tap on your Hole Saw’s side two times while continuing with the drilling. Doing so will prevent the clogging of the MDF dust, and the burning. You can use the file to remove the burnt marks.
- Step no.6- Holding the sharpening compound in your hand; turn the wheel using your other hand. It is an easy step, and it makes the sharpening process effortless.
DIY Electric Knife or Tool Sharpener
Yotube Video Review: DIY Electric Knife or Tool Sharpener
Design And Size Of Electric Sharpening Models
Electric Knife Sharpening Safety Tips
- Never multi-task when sharpening the knife
- Make sure that the model you buy is appropriate for your knife’s blade, especially if it is a vintage electric knife sharpener
- Always try to pass the entire knife’s blade through the machine without missing any part, as it ensures best sharpening results
- Never keep your hand close to the rotating stone with the unit switched on
- Usually, you will need to work your knife towards you when using the tool; it is best not to work in the opposite direction as it will cause your knife to get stuck in the machine
Care And Maintenance
- Make sure that the unit is unplugged before you start cleaning it.
- Most units come with safety interlock to prevent any untoward incident; make sure the interlock is working properly.
- Remove the guidance system from the unit and wash it with water, or in the dishwasher (if allowed).
- Wipe the inside of the unit using a dry cloth to remove any sharpening residue from the machine.
- It is highly recommended that you clean the unit after every use.
- The replaceable parts of most electric sharpening models are easily available, so in case of any damage, you can contact the manufacturer for purchasing the part you require.