The concept of combining several tools into a single multi-tool did not start recently. Throughout the human history, people have always looked for ways to improvise and commercialize tools. People are always in need of getting a single tool capable of handling several tasks.
Multi-tools are useful and one every person must have whether a DIY fanatic or not. They are requisite equipment that can handle several tasks.
Choosing the best multi tool gives you the best value for your money. In this article, we have reviewed some of the best multi tool models in the market over the years. Go through the various models as you look for once that best suits your needs.
These are among the best multi-tools in the market currently and present you with the chance to get the best multi tool that suits your needs and gives you value for money.
The 830039 Leatherman is an exceptional multi tool that comes with 17 tools capable of handling various tasks. The Leatherman comes with longer knives, longer wire cutters and strong pliers making it a good value for money.
It is an essential multi-tool for any kind of job. The one blade function gives you the tool you want at a time. The pliers have been redesigned to withstand double the squeezing capability.
- Multiple capabilities with 17 tools
- One-hand operable features allowing you to open and operate one tool with one hand
- Every tool on the multi-tool locks with the exception of the plier’s head
- Materials: 420HC stainless steel and black oxide
- Four exterior accessories that can be accessed even when the blade is closed
- 25-year warranty
- Well built
- A nice selection of functional tools making it quite diverse
- Great locking and easy to release
- Smooth and comfortable finish on the hand
- Resists twisting like most multi tools
- Price is high, but quality is great
- Heavy weighing 20oz
- Sharp edges when the tool is closed
- The ruler is less useful
The Gerber Bear is a 12-inch stainless steel multi-tool and one of the best multi tool in the market. The Gerber has a rugged construction, external locking tools and spring-loaded pliers with an extra grip handle making it the one of the best multi tool for DIY fanatics.
Individuals looking for a reliable and durable multi-tool can choose the Gerber Bear for its unique features that make it one of the best multi-tools for wild adventures.
- 12 components in a single multi compact tool
- Light weight with a comfortable design
- Spring loaded for a simplified one hand usage
- Military-grade nylon sheath
- Bear Grylls’ Priorities of survival
- Ergonomic textured rubber grip
- Easy to use
- Comes with amazing functional tools
- Great design and light weight
- Has a simplified one hand use that makes usage easier
- Mildew resistant making it quite durable
- Survival pockets and rescue instructions
- The blades are short
- Head screwdriver is oddly shaped
- Bulky and takes time to get into the nylon case
- Construction is not great as other multi-tools like Leatherman
Bear Grylls Ultimate Multitool
Yotube Video Review: Bear Grylls Ultimate Multitool
The Leatherman Wingman is another exceptional product making it one of the best multi tool to check out this year. Made from the best multi tool manufacturer in the industry, the Wingman is an ideal choice for adventurous people. It comes with the Leatherman patented one hand opening and spring action jaws for easier operation.
It is covered by the Leatherman’s 25-year warranty making it one of the best multi tool in the market.
- Stainless steel handle
- Features 14 functional tools
- Lightweight measuring just 7 oz
- 420 stainless steel handle
- Backed by a team of designers, assemblers and manufacturing crews from Oregon
- Lightweight weighing just 7 oz
- Comes with most of the functional tools for all kind of jobs
- One hand opening knife with exterior access
- It is a high-quality product giving you value for money
- Serrated knife is great for cutting rope and fibrous materials
- The scissors are easily accessible
- The knife locking mechanism is poorly placed
- Wire cutter is unusable
- There is a slight side play on the pliers
The Gerber Suspension is one tough reliable and easy to handle multi tool. It is one of the best multi-tools that is quite easy to use when readily needed. Engineered to tackle big jobs, the Gerber suspension can handle any situation. It is a great value for money and a must check out this year.
Here are some of the features that make the Gerber one of the best multi tools in the market. It comes with several unique features that are found in almost all multi-tools.
- A sleek butterfly design
- Plus component locking system
- Durable steel stainless construction
- Needle nose pliers
- Serrated and straight blades for versatility
- Large and medium flathead screwdrivers
- User-friendly design for easier operation
- Reliable with most tools readily accessible
- Lightweight making it easier to carry around
- Compact enough design
- Lock system that ensures safety
- The scissors are not great like in best multi tools
- Quite heavy when you compare to other multi tools
- Pliers not great on small hands
- The two blades have little flanges
The Gerber Dime is another great product from Gerber and one that will offer users a wide range of uses. It is one of the best multi tool models with a stainless steel construction giving it durability. The Gerber dime is convenient for small tasks and is easily accessible when looking for all kind of tools.
The Gerber dime is one of the best multi tools when looking for something compact and lightweight to fit in your pocket. The tool must nicely fit in your pocket and not cause any problems when traveling.
- Sturdy with a stainless steel construction
- Lightweight, compact and perfectly fits into your pockets
- Has an overall length of 4.25 inches when open and 2.75 inches when closed
- Comes with ten tools for performing a wide range of functions
- Great design making it great to travel with
- Compact and lightweight for easy carrying when traveling
- The construction is sturdy making the multi tool quite durable and reliable
- Easy to access various tools without any problems
- The outside tools open and lock safely with satisfaction
- The scissor hinges are tight and sharp enough to cut through sharp materials
- The materials used in the construction are not great as in most multi-tools
- It is too small to fit into most big hands
- It is not efficient in handling some of the toughest jobs in the field
- The blades are short and not ideal for handling tough cutting jobs
- The Gerber Dime pocket is not the strongest and might break easily if fastened hardly
Gerber Dime Multi-Tool
Yotube Video Review: Gerber Dime Multi-Tool
The Swiss + Tech is one of the best multi tool for those looking for a compact and lightweight multi tool for camping. It is the ideal camping companion with all the necessary functional tools to handle any task at the camp. It comes with over 19 functional tools making it quite reliable in accomplishing all forms of tasks.
It is the best multi tool for obvious reasons. It is quite durable made of stainless steel. It can easily attach to your keychain and can easily be released when required.
- Ideal multi tool for camping, outdoor activities, hardware, auto and hunting
- Includes tools like pliers, a bottle opener, stripper and wire cutter, wire crimper
- Includes 2 hex wrenches and six screwdrivers
- Lifetime warranty
- 19 functional tools capable of handling all kinds of tasks
- Patent design that fits a 24/7 pocket-sized for readiness
- Quick release and self-locking mechanism for safety and ease of use
- Great and does not take too much space
- Lightweight making easy to carry without feeling the weight
- Can handle multi-functions with the over 19 tools
- Easy to store with the patented locking mechanism
- Lies flat in the pocket and does not fill much space
- The design is great
- Metal is a bit course and not well polished
- Individual arms sometimes grind against each other
Micro Max 19 in 1 Keychain Multitool
Yotube Video Review: Micro Max 19 in 1 Keychain Multitool
This is another great multi tool from the Swiss + Tech. It is one of the best Swiss + Tech multi-tools for precision cutting. The tool comes with both the serrated and straight knives to achieve a wide variety of cutting options. It is a great product to act as a gift for men.
It is the best multi tool for those women looking to give their men the perfect gift. The Swiss + Tech ST44444 comes with an individual gift box so that you have everything ready to gift your man.
- Comes with an individual gift box
- Have both the straight and serrated knives
- A versatile set of tools
- Attaches securely to the key chains
- Comes with a micro eyeglass for a flat screwdriver
- Great packaging
- Lightweight allowing you to carry it on the key chain
- Sharp serrated and straight knives for precise cutting
- Quite sturdy and reliable
- Flexible when in use and doesn’t bend
- Difficult to use without both hands
- The blades are too short
- The eyeglass and screwdriver are too large for two pairs of glasses
Swiss Tech Utilikey 6-in-1 Keychain Multitool
Yotube Video Review: Swiss Tech Utilikey 6-in-1 Keychain Multitool
When it comes to keeping weight as minimal as possible, the best multi tool to use is the Leatherman Skelotool. Weighing a mere 5 ounces, the Skelo tool is one of the lightest multi tools in the market. It is a great pick for adventurous races and mountain hikers who want to keep their weight as minimal as possible.
This is done the unique way that does not sacrifice the true quality and functionality of all Leatherman multi-tools. It is quite durable with stainless steel handles and tungsten DLC scratch resistant coating.
- The handles are all stainless steel for durability
- The outside blades are easily accessible
- Easy to operate and can be opened with just one handle
- Comes with the bit driver technology that allows users to customize it with any tool
- Lightweight weighing a mere five ounces
- Backed by a 25 years warranty
- Very light allowing users to carry it easily without much trouble
- Quality is maintained despite the small size and little weight
- Very durable with the stainless steel construction
- Has rust or corrosion issues when in contact with salt water
- Not ideal for bigger tasks
LEATHERMAN Skeletool CX - Multi-Tool
Yotube Video Review: LEATHERMAN Skeletool CX - Multi-Tool
Gerber once again has one of its multi tool in the list among the best multi tool in the market with a wide range of features. The black rugged Gerber Diesel is a great option for individuals looking for a multi tool capable of handling numerous tasks at a go. It is lightweight and weighs just 8.5 ounces making quite easy to carry around.
This device has countless applications and will save you precious time accomplishing small tasks when on a trip or some venture. The Gerber Diesel is an indispensable tool that every soldier or DIY fanatic must own to deal with smaller issues that arise when accomplishing various activities.
- Super versatility
- Easy handling
- Needle nose pliers
- The knife has a partially serrated blade
- Cross point screwdriver
- Can opener
- Comes with scissors and a saw
- User-friendly with a unique design that gives peace of mind
- Safe to use with self-interlocking mechanisms that improve safety
- Bigger and stronger handling some more specific functions
- Refined lock and sliding functions
- Nylon ballistic sheath for storage
- The black coating does come off in some multi-tools
Gerber Diesel Multi-tool
Yotube Video Review: Gerber Diesel Multi-tool
The Leatherman Style CS Multi Tool 2015 completes our review of the top ten best multi tools in the market. It is another great multi tool with great features found in most Leatherman products. This six-in-one multi tool features a unique clip-n design a feature that distinguishes it from all the other Leatherman products.
The Style comes with CS to ensure your most important tools are with you at all times. It can easily fit into your pocket or clip on your bag for easy clipping. The Style CS multi tool has a good design that makes you want to show it off.
- Carabiner or bottle opener
- Stainless steel body for optimized strength
- The nylon handles are all glass filled
- Bit drivers to work with other tools
- Feature six functional tools
- It is one tool with a thousand of uses making it quite versatile
- Durable and long lasting
- Portable and easily fits into pockets
- Comes with a 25 years warranty
- The scissors are excellent
- The blades are great for its size
- File is nice
- Not very strong screwdrivers
- Tweezers difficult to cut out
- Bottle opener not very strong
How to Choose the Best Multi-Tool?
Consumers need to look at various considerations when choosing the best multi tool for the needs. Most of these multi tools have almost the same tools with variations in the number of tools being reflected in the weight. When choosing a tool the following need to be considered.
The tools in the multi-tool influence the type of multi-tool to purchase. Depending on what you do most, choose a multi-tool with all the functional tools attached. Here the choice comes down to what you require most in various adventures.
- Weight of the Multi-Tool
In choosing the best multi tool, consider if you must sacrifice weight for an extra tool. The type of adventure taken might also influence your choice of the multi-tool chosen. Races and hikers might have to go with a lightweight multi-tool have they need very minimal weight with them.
|Product Name||Image||Tools Included||Overall Rating||Details|
|Leatherman 830039 Wave Multi Tool||17||10||Check price|
|Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Multi-Tool||12||9.5||Check price|
|Leatherman — Wingman Multitool Stainless Steel||14||9.5||Check price|
|Gerber Suspension Multi-Plier||12||9||Check price|
|Gerber Dime Multitool||10||8||Check price|
|Swiss + Tech ST53100 Polished SS 19-in-1 Micro Pocket Multi Tool||19||8.5||Check price|
|Swiss + Tech ST44444 Polished SS 6-in-1 Utility Key Multi-Tool||6||8||Check price|
|Leatherman Skeletool CX Multi Tool||4||9||Check price|
|Gerber Diesel Multi-Plier||15||9.5||Check price|
|Leatherman Style CS Multi Tool 2015||6||9||Check price|
The brand of the tool can also influence the type of multi-tools bought. Some brands are known to produce high-quality multi-tools than others. If you want the best multi-tool, and then choose the best brand in the market, this will give you a multi-tool of high quality and good value for money.
- Durability and Warranty
You want something that will serve you for years. Consider the material used to make the multi-tool know if it is durable and will last you for long periods. Look at the warranty to see what it covers and the duration it covers the multi-tool. Selecting the best multi-tool might appear difficult, but when you know what you want and what to check, the process is quite easier.
Depending on how much you want to spend; don’t go way too high paying for the multi-tool if you have a better option. If you have to pay much more, then ensure the quality is there. Always look for a multi-tool that gives you the best value for your money.