Are you set to start your journey flying RC planes? Remote control planes are really enjoyable. Seeing your model plane fly across the sky is a very exciting sight and with the right practice and training, you’ll have the opportunity to progress from a novice to an experienced pilot.
Would you like to be a top gun pilot one day? Yes, then you’re going to require a solid foundation through the great beginners RC planes. Mastering the basics is awesome on your way to begin flying nitro-powered planes, ducted fan jets, and scale warbirds. Different kinds of planes have various specialties and purposes that you can discover while progressing as a pilot.
This review is designed to assist you to find that RC plane of choice. There are various excellent remote control planes available. This review will compare and review ten of these planes so as to help you get the right one for you.
HobbyZone Duet (RTF) HBZ5300 RC Planes
HobbyZone Duet RTF HBZ5300 Airplane Overview
- Includes four “AA” batteries for powering the interference free 2.4Ghz transmitter plus a built-in charger.
- Vibrant Trim Scheme3 control channel enables you to easily control the climb, throttle, and steering.
- Virtual Instructor technology allows you to reduce the complexity of RC plane flight by offering control assistance as well as countering the effects of turbulence and wind.
- Durable, lightweight construction prevents damage whenever a crash occurs.
- Efficient and quiet power system.
- Rechargeable battery for great flight times on every single charge.
Key Features Everything you need to teach yourself to fly in one box, even the "AA" batteries for the transmitter! Interference-free 2.4GHz transmitter with built-in charger Vibrant trim ...
- The plane is very easy to fly for novices
- It is really inexpensive for a remote control plane
- The plane is lightweight; takes off and lands well
- The plane is foam hence fragile
- Very sensitive controls; crashing the plane is really easy
Hobbyzone Sport Cub S (RTF) RC Planes
- Includes SAFE technology to help you learn the flight basics and develop your skills in different flight modes. Instantly return the plane to steady flight by pulling the trigger in the Panic Recovery mode.
- Proportional 4-channel controls with fully working elevator, rudder, throttle and aileron.
- Steerable tail wheel enables easy ground control.
- Powerful electric motor delivers impressive climb performance and speed.
- Rechargeable battery for longer flight times once charged plus USB port DC-Fast charger.
Key Features-Everything you need to fly RC today. SAFE technology from Horizon Hobby. Recovery with the pull of a trigger with Panic Recovery mode. Proportional 4-channel control with working ...
- This RC plane is beautiful to fly especially for beginners thanks to the safe technology included in this model
- Reinforced tail and wing to keep the plane stable
- It is very portable due to its small size yet big enough for you to enjoy
- Fixing the plane is a great problem once it crashes or foam breaks
- Sometimes it is a little difficult to bind the RC plane to the remote
ParkZone Ember 2 (RTF) RC Planes
ParkZone Ember 2 RTF Aircraft Overview
- Spektrum 2.4GHz transmitter and DSM2 radio technology reduce interference.
- Small size and slow-flying innovation allow flight in even small spaces.
- Battery charges in 15-to-20 minutes.
- Fully proportional and super lightweight motors.
- Rechargeable battery for more flight time.
- It is very easy to fly this plane including landings, hand catches, and takeoffs
- This is a really good trainer plane
- Very stable to fly in calm winds
- It is really RTF (ready to fly), simply charge and install the batteries
- The parts are lightweight and delicate; the propeller shaft is very fragile
- Even though the model is easy to fly, the controls are a bit sensitive
HobbyZone Delta Ray (RTF) RC Planes
- Safe technology offers 4 modes to provide new pilots a revolutionary advancement in flight training and control.
- Panic Mode stabilizes the plane to level flight whenever you lose control with a push of the button.
- Intermediate and beginner modes offer support for beginner pilots through limiting the pitch and roll of the RC plane, always keeping you in full control.
- Experienced Mode enables master pilots to discover the great performance of this airplane supported by the incredibly revolutionary stabilization system.
- The full 4-channel control offers new pilots complete learning experience using most of the controls in full-size airplanes.
- Includes the full-range Spektrum 2.4GHz DX4E-DSMX transmitter compatible with other Spektrum-equipped products.
- Durable, impact-resistant z-foam construction is exceptionally tough.
Safe technology is a revolutionary leap forward in flight control and training. Click here to learn more. Key features intuitive safe technology provides four modes to give new pilots the ultimate ...
- Battery life is pretty good
- The plane is easy to operate, tremendously durable and stable too
- 4 flying modes deliver great flexibility and efficiency
- The beginner mode needs plenty of space to turn
- The beginner-to-intermediate flying is safe yet very challenging
Top Race Cessna C185-Electric 2 Channel Infrared (RTF) RC Planes
- Full flight (Up, Down, Left & Right) with precision speed control.
- 2 Channel infrared remote control (super wide).
- Auto-Stable Technology for stable flight.
- Durable, unique material to withstand impact; specially designed to fly indoors.
- Charge time is about 20 min for a 12 minutes flight.
The Top Race Cessna C185 is a durable indoor 2 Channel remote control airplane built with a special bendable material to withstand strong impacts, special designed for indoor flight, precision speed ...
- Great flight durability and quality
- Overall great battery life
- The plane flies very well, plus its really responsive controls
- Landing gear would not stay on
- Sometimes it won’t pair with the remote
Top Race C188-Electric 2 Channel Infrared (RTF) RC Planes
- This model is a (Biplane) meaning it has 2 main wings structure which produces more lift compared to the mono-wing plane. This Biplane is highly recommended for learners over the mono-wing planes because it flies slower.
- The aircraft is very durable, almost indestructible when crashed; making it incredible for any players.
- This model is made of lightweight and flexible EPO foam.
- Full flight (Up, Down, Left & Right) with precision speed control.
- 2 Channel infrared remote control.
- Auto-Stable Technology for stable flight.
What so good about the Top Race C188 Biplane? This is a
- Really great control and it is very durable
- It is fun to fly indoors as well as very light that it does not damage anything
- Very sturdy and easy to use
- The design is spectacular and so fun
- The charging cord gets very fragile affecting the plane’s charging
- Nearly impossible to maintain level flight and turn
Disney Planes Wing-Control Dusty Crophopper RC Planes
- This RC vehicle provides role-play remote control for the plane to move when you do.
- Phrases and sounds amplify the action for an enjoyable air-venture.
- Dusty speaks commands such as, “Bank left!”.
- Includes Dusty Crophopper radio control vehicle, as well as right wing and left wing controller.
Enter your model number to make sure this fits.; Inspired by the hit new Disney/Pixar Cars animated film, Planes; Kids can have high-flying fun recreating the action scene in the movie; This RC ...
- The remote control function using arms is fun
- It is durable, even after crashing many times it still looks and works great
- Fun and cute toy with over 40 phrases and sounds
- Fun yet hard to control
- It is difficult to straighten or level out the plane
- The toy makes many loud noises that can be annoying
Air Hogs Sky Stunt RC Planes
Air Hogs RC Sky Stunt Plane Overview
- Easy Stunt Performance Trigger allows the Sky Stunt model to perform different tricks like stalls, loops, sharp edge turns and corkscrews with the push of a button.
- High-performance engine featuring a 4-way control and performance rudder.
- Available in two radio frequencies plus a 100ft communication range for outdoors use.
Fly to the extreme with the sky-high action of the Air Hogs Sky Stunt! Stylized after agile racing planes the Sky Stunt performs gravity defying stunts with the push of a button. Perform insane ...
- The plane is really durable and features two additional propellers
- It is very powerful; it can perform flips and gain an impressive altitude
- It is a cheap, economical toy
- Made of Styrofoam material, the plane is very difficult to fly in wind
- Beginners can find it very challenging to fly this plane
PowerUp 3.0 Smartphone Controlled Paper Airplane
- This remote controlled paper aircraft conversion kit features a crash-resistant design and has a 55 meter or 180 feet range.
- Includes Bluetooth Smart Technology which is controlled by a smartphone.
- Special, unique template paper to ensure flying spare and easy folding with additional rudder, spare propeller, and micro-USB cable for charging.
- Control by tilting tablet or smartphone right/left for maneuvering and ascend/descend using throttle lever.
- Features Air Traffic Control, charging status indicator, battery level indicator, and range indicators.
The world's first remote controlled paper airplane conversion kit has a 180 feet/ 55 meter range and a crash-resistant design; Contains Bluetooth Smart Technology controlled by your smartphone (check ...
- The ability to remotely control the paper plane using your smartphone is awesome
- Crash proof, durable design
- It is an educational experience – The PowerUp 3.0 combines all components of science, engineering, technology, math, and art allowing teachers and schools to enable students to learn the basic principles of lift, aerodynamics, and flight
- Limited Bluetooth range
- Needs a lot of practice (trial and error) to fully learn flying this RC plane
E-Flite UMX F4U (RTF) Corsair RC Planes
E-Flite UMX F4U Corsair RTF AS3x Overview
- AS3X technology for great stability and handling.
- New high-performance 3-blade propeller.
- Independent Spektrum aileron servos with 8.5mm brushed motor.
- Removable landing gear and tail wheel steering.
- Authentic paint scheme.
- Includes 4 AA batteries and a low-power 4-channel DSMX transmitter.
- Absolutely beautiful plane
- Get value for your money; comes with all you require to fly it out of the box
- Very durable RC airplane
- Does not fly well in high wind, because it is very light due to the Styrofoam construction
- Requires a lot of repairs and maintenance
- It is still very hard to control for learners
How to Choose a Remote Control Plane?
Here are some factors to consider when looking for an RC plane;
- Design Configuration
For your first RC airplane, you require something that is forgiving and stable. Most beginners are very tempted to buy RC planes that can fly fast or look cool, without giving much attention to how simple the plane is to control. The perfect aircraft to learn flying is the high wing trainer whose configuration ensures a lot of stability on a flight.
You also need to look for the noticeable dihedral when getting your first RC airplane. The more dihedral a wing has, the more stable the plane. Another crucial reason for dihedral is the fact that airplanes that don’t have ailerons depend only on the rudder for complete turning which needs dihedral to help the turn.
- Power Type
You may have already decided to fly RC planes with an Internal Combustion (IC) power motor “commonly glow plug” or an Electric Power (EP) motor, but here are some advantages and disadvantages to consider.
Electric powered RC planes are more beginners friendly because they are inexpensive to buy and are easy to fly. They also need fewer accessories, reduced nuisance factor because they’re quiet and more welcome in various public places where RC flying is permitted.
On the other hand, glow plug powered RC planes require more accessories due to starting and maintaining of the engine. You will have huge fuel costs, they create much higher levels of noise level, and they are also more expensive and larger compared to the EP beginner planes.
- Number of Channels or Controllable Functions
This is a very important factor, choosing badly can determine the amount of fun you will have with your newly acquired RC airplane. The simpler (Park Flyer) type electric RC planes which have two or three channels are most reliable for self-teaching. Single channel RC planes are available but not worth spending your money on if you are serious about flying. A 2 channel RC airplane is really easy to fly but limited in its performance.
Overall, the 3 channel airplane is exactly what you require as well as the 2 channel plane if you can only afford it or you really want it. An average 2 channel planes usually have a rudder and motor control, the motor speed influences climb and descent.
3 channel RC planes have control to the elevator, rudder, and motor with the optional 3 channel configuration featuring the motor, ailerons, and elevator. A rudder is common on beginner RC planes while ailerons are common in faster planes that are capable of more aerobatics.
If you want to adventure further, you can try out the 4 channel trainer which is not that simple to self-teach with even though it is ultimately more rewarding to fly it. The 4 channel RC planes have control to ailerons, elevator, rudder and motor power.
- KIT, RTF or ARF?
The completeness of the first RC airplane you buy purely relies on your own individual preference.
A kit involves making the plane from the box of pre-cut pieces over a certain plan. Very satisfying yet it needs knowledge and skills of model building to do it perfectly and you will need to separately buy the ESC, motor, radio gear and battery pack.
The Almost Ready to Fly (ARF) option for RC planes comes about 90% complete. You only need to acquire the radio gear, ESC, motor and batteries pack separately and install them all by yourself. Again, some knowledge of modeling is required but there would not be much building needed.
Buying a Ready to Fly (RTF) plane is the best option if you only need to get flying immediately. Ready to fly RC planes come fully completed with all electronics including radio and motor installed. No much work is needed other than basic assembly work like attaching the wing to the fuselage, charging the battery pack, installing the transmitter and flying.
Electric powered beginner RTF planes are convenient, quickly airborne and affordable, gaining more popularity over time. Additionally, their foam construction makes them tough but easily repairable if the plane crashes.
- Spare Parts Availability
Crashing is part of the flying action! When learning how to fly RC planes, chances are that you’ll crash sooner or later, probably sooner!
It would be very convenient to have an off-the-shelf spare parts supply, therefore when buying your first RC plane you should take the time to know whether the spare parts are readily available. This is to avoid potentially dodgy repairs which could seriously hamper the performance and safety of your plane after a crash.
For a basic beginner RC airplane, the HobbyZone Sport Cub S RTF airplane tops the list. This plane is equipped with everything you require to get started (the plane, the controller and the battery) and it is easy to fly. No need to worry when you crash your plane thanks to its SAFE technology with a panic button that returns your plane to stable or steady flight.
The Sport Cub S has 3 flying modes that include beginner, intermediate & experienced, with each mode having its own limitations to aid various levels of pilots. Its short flight time is probably 8 minutes anyway you can find a 4-pack of batteries that will come in handy. In addition, it is the best learner RC plane available in the market allowing you to fully learn the remote control flight basics without worrying about breaking it.
Even though the Sport Cub S is not quite easy to fly or the most durable plane or the most acrobatic, but compared to most of its competition, it still outclasses in all these three areas. It can perform fun barrel rolls and gorgeous loops yet it is portable and light enough to easily carry around and stored. Still, its 2-foot average wingspan and 320-foot range are really decent.
Overall, the HobbyZone Sport Cub S (RTF) RC planes beginner-friendly technology, durability, and flexibility earn the plane the top position in this review making it an easy selection for best RC plane.
Get flying with the RC plane of your choice!