There are hundreds of great headphones in the market, but they all come at a price. At the same time, everyone is looking to get good bang for their buck when buying headphones. For this reason, we rounded up 10 of the best headphones under 200 that are sure to give you your money’s worth. Read on as this guide will help you figure out how to pack quality into a lower price unit.
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Professional Headphones
Audio-Technica’s ATH-M50x has received rave reviews from most consumer sites for a noble reason. First, it offers an unsurpassed level of comfort thanks to the supple padding on the ear cups as well as the horizontal and vertical pivoting on each cup. It also provides excellent sound quality than any other headphones at its price range. All of the sound ranges-high, low and mid have a crisp and clear sound with deep, accurate bass response. In addition, it has a circumaural design contour around the ears to block out sound when you’re in loud environments. One other thing that certainly captivates about the ATH-M50 x is that it comes with a detachable cable. If you’re at all familiar with headphone problems, you know that a cable input ensures that your headphones outlive a suspect cable.
- It boasts unrivalled sonic performance in its price range. 90 degrees rotating ear cups enable natural professional-grade one ear monitoring for more comfort and durability
- As one of the top contender headphones under 200, it is well within reason for budget conscious consumers
- It comes with a carrying bag that enables you to fold it into its most compact position
- Lows can be somewhat punchy but not to the extent that it compromises the overall sound quality
Bose SoundTrue Around-Ear Headphones II
There’s a ton of things to like about the Bose SoundTrue Around-Ear Headphones II. It’s one of the lightweight and most comfortable options in the headphones under 200 category. In fact, you can wear it for hours without having any discomfort. It also has the best set of cans when it comes to sound quality. The bass response is terrific, and the sound is rich and well-defined. It is refreshing to have an inline microphone and remote that allows you to switch to calls on your phone. It comes with a leather carrying bag that’s the same color as the headphones. Its casing is however not very sturdy so don’t expect it to safeguard your headphones completely.
- It features a softly padded headband that ensures weight is distributed evenly across your head, plus the memory foam cushions your ear perfectly
- The earphones are made to remain comfortable playlist after playlist; They are not wireless but detach easily for quick storage
- The midi sound seems a little muddled especially when listening to vocal-heavy volumes
Sennheiser HD 598 Over-Ear Headphones
The Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones offer impeccable sound quality as well as unsurpassed comfort. This stylish earphone features ear cups with high-end burl-wood detail against the premium metal mesh. Its innovative design delivers unbelievably detailed and balanced sound in the high, mid and low levels. A high-quality headband and ear cushions provide impressive wearing comfort for all-day listening. Additionally, its signature E.A.R — ergonomic acoustic refinement design passes audio straight into your ear to give you an exceptional listening experience while blocking out external sound. The transducers use a unique diaphragm geometry that reduces harmonic distortion while conveying high output and remarkable frequency response.
- It is compatible with many devices including phones, computers, and tablets
- It uses premium components including Sennheiser’s engineered aluminium voice coils to deliver efficiency
- A 2-year international warranty guarantees you peace of mind for many years
- Like most headphones under 200, they are not designed to isolate sound — any sound in the environment can quickly come in
Beats Solo HD On-Ear Headphone
Beats Solo is one of the headphones under 200 that’s just about as good as they can be. Filled with color in an elegant design, these earphones are the first of its kind to feature matching ear cups, headband, and cord in an exclusive matte finish. They are compact enough to fit effortlessly in your backpack and offer superior comfort. With regards to sound quality, Beats Solo has gone far and beyond to provide high-quality sound accurately by reproducing all the details of the music you’re listening to. As such, you get crisp, clear highs, lows and mids making the headphones perfect for long listening sessions. When you buy this headphone, you can rest assured that you’re buying quality, durability, and comfort in a single package.
- As one of the headphones under 200, they are perfect for the busy life thanks to its flexible construction reinforced with a durable metal strip
- It has a built-in mic for calls that lets you switch easily between incoming calls and songs
- It doesn’t come with a carrying bag
Sony MDR-AS20J/WHI Active Style Headphones with Soft Loop Hangers
The Sony MDR-AS20J Headphone is the perfect definition of comfort, durability and high-quality. It has a plethora of features which makes it stand out as one of the best headphones under 200. First, it has an excellent bass. This is because it has 13.5 mm dome type drivers unlike the regular 9mm driver of earbuds. Another thing that helps the bass is the clip design. It pushes the bud firmly but gently into the ear for clarity. Similarly, it has an exceptional ability to stay in place while you’re running. You can almost forget about it. With regards to sound quality, they offer a balanced sound that brings out an ideal frequency range. These headphones have an impedance of 16 ohms which makes it compatible with just any device under all listening dimensions.
- It has a light cord which makes it the best for running. It is also very comfortable
- Unlike many headphones under 200, the MDR-AS20J is sweat and weather resistant
- When listening to loud volumes, the sound quality may be a little stifled
Sony MDR-IF245RK Wireless IF Headphone
This infrared technology-based headphone offers an incredible battery life of 28 hours while producing superior sound output. Though not as advanced as the other headphones under 200, Sony MDR-IF245RK Wireless IF Headphone does a pretty impressive job with regards to excellent audio output thanks to its 40mm driver units. About comfort, it has a self-adjusting headband that feels super light over your head. This means you can use it for long listening sessions. Likewise, it has a muting function that helps lower the levels of noise when out of range. Inclusively, it made to our list of headphones under 200.
- Comes with a rechargeable battery so you don’t have to worry about buying an external charger
- It is one of the economic headphones under 200, yet offers acceptable sound quality that almost matches its high-end counterparts
- It is not compatible with plasma televisions
Jabra REVO Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Headphones
The Jabra Revo Wireless is an expedient set of Bluetooth headphones. It has excellent sound quality regardless of whether you’re roaming around town, enjoying a movie at home or on a flight. Its combination of high sensitivity and wide frequency range offer you a balanced sound with a strong bass and good treble. The 40mm driver on this headphone is sure to give you good sound than devices with smaller drivers. Additionally, the Jabra Revo can last for 12 hours on active mode and an incredible 240 hours on standby mode. Although its on-ear design isn’t entirely comfortable, it weighs only 8 ounces making it a much lighter and convenient option.
- It has a turntable touch control which gives you the freedom to play, skip or pause music while managing calls at the same time
- It is designed with a sturdy aluminum frame, steel hinges and shatterproof headband for extreme durability
- It has a foldable design for compact storage plus a detachable cord and USB charger for convenience
- Like many headphones under 200, it doesn’t provide noise elimination; you can hear noise from outside
Monster DNA On-Ear Headphones
The Monster DNA On-Ear offers a clearer, tighter sound that lives up to its celebrated popularity among the average consumers. It has a bassier, warm sound that isn’t stifled in the mid-range. Its treble is also significantly brighter, cleaner and crispier, almost next to smooth. It is designed for a high level of comfort thanks to its padded ear cushions. Additionally, it is made of ultra-light materials which are surprisingly very durable and suited to withstand use and abuse. It also features a dual jack audio input that can be linked to your headphones to easily share any audio you want. The most interesting part is that you can entirely customize its look with any skin you want.
- It offers advanced noise isolating features meaning you can listen without disturbances
- It combines all of the features you can find on headphones under 200- clarity, sound quality, and aspect resolution
- The ear pads can’t be replaced. If it gets torn, it can become a problem
AKG Q 701 Quincy Jones Signature Reference-Class Premium Headphones
Conceived with deejays in mind, the AKG 701 Quincy Headphone will get you mixing like a DJ in no time. This set of quality headphones boasts sparkling harmonics and unrivalled realism in the lower frequency range. It offers huge, airy, three-dimensional sound quality that’s only produced by the finest high-end headphones under 200 category. Lately, it has been engineered to be the most accurate and responsive headphones ever created. For this reason, you get to hear music exactly the way the artist intended in true surround sound systems. Additionally, it employs flat wire voice coil technology and the AKG neodymium magnet system for vibrant high-frequency signal tracking and superb bass response.
- Its ear pads bear a 3-d form design that ensures perfect fit and comfort
- One of the best headphones under 200. Produces sparkling highs and more than accurate bass response
- Have tiny bumps on the headband which make it slightly uncomfortable especially for long-day use
RHA MA750 Premium In-Ear Headphone
With RHA’s Aerophonic design, the MA750 has been carefully constructed from individual machined stainless steel components. It has a handmade driver and over-ear fit that ensure exclusive sound output, comfort and noise isolation. The sound is efficiently channelled from the high-performance dynamics into the ear of the listener. The shape of the earbuds also plays a huge role in delivering full frequency and authentic sound production. Its over-ear fit cable supports are specially made so that the cable rests over the ear to give the user a secure fit that’s comfortable and noise free. It’s undoubtedly one of the best headphones under 200.
- Included is a premium carrying case for storage and a clothing clip that attaches to the headphone cables
- It has six arrays of RHA’s ear tips for excellent noise isolation
- Mic sound is quite not up to the mark of superb sound output
How to Choose the Best Headphones?
If you’re looking to get the most out of your headphones, there are several factors you should consider. We discuss them in detail below:
- Excellent Sound: A good headphone should be able to deliver sound that’s correspondingly balanced across bass, treble and midrange frequencies.
- Comfortable to Wear: Regardless of whether you intend to use headphones all day long every day or just occasionally, comfort is very critical.
- Noise insulation Properties: If you’re looking to drown out external noise, you should look for earphones that offer noise isolation.
- Frequency Range: A wide frequency range usually means you get to hear more from the music. Anything within 10Hz to 25,000Hz is recommended.
Types of Headphones
There are three main types of headphones. The type you opt for will depend on various factors, although personal preference is always the prime element.
- Earbuds: These are small and cheap headphones that often come with smartphones and MP3 players. They don’t fit into the ear securely and are susceptible to sound leakage. They have the poorest sound quality.
- In-ear Headphones: They are the most common type and are often associated with music players. They’re light, portable and cheaper than over-ear sets. They fit snugly into the ear and have minimal sound leakage. Their sound quality is poorer than over-ear headphones. Most headphones under 200 are in this category.
- Over-ear Headphones: These are large headphones with cushioned pads that cover the whole ear. They are very comfortable and deliver splendid sound quality. However, they’re generally bulky and are therefore suited for home use. A few headphones under 200 are in this category.
Competition — Which One Is the Best among Reviewed and Why?
All the headphones under 200 are great choices; it becomes so hard to single out a winner. However, we have to identify the one headphone that won the hearts of most music buffs. And the award of honour goes to the Sennheiser HD 598 Over-Ear headphones. It has all the features one could ask for at its price range. From impeccable sound quality to unsurpassed comfort, you can never go wrong with it.
It has an innovative design that delivers unbelievably detailed and balanced sound in the high, mid and low levels. A high-quality headband and ear cushions provide impressive wearing comfort for all-day listening. Additionally, its signature E.A.R — ergonomic acoustic refinement design passes audio straight into your ear to give you an exceptional listening experience while blocking out external sound. Inclusively, it conveys high-quality sound and remarkable frequency response.