What’s great about a buckwheat pillow, and why should you even consider buying one?
If you want a pillow that you could rely on for support and comfort for a good night’s sleep, then this bedtime essential is what you need. Here, we look into different products to choose from, a guide to buying buckwheat pillow and benefits you can expect.
Beans72 Japanese Size Organic Buckwheat Pillows
- US-made product
- 100 percent cotton fabric for the cover
- Conforms to the shape of your head, spine, and neck
- Weighs between 4 and 5 pounds, but can be customized by adding or removing some hulls
- Supportive and comfortable
- Cleaned using special formula to eliminate dust and debris
- Comes with a high quality and unbleached cotton fabric for the cover
- Promotes moisture and heat reduction
- Firm quality
- Smaller than your regular standard pillows
- Tedious task involved when washing the cover
Buckwheat Pillows (Comfy Sleep)
This buckwheat pillow is made of the finest buckwheat hulls that are specially shaped to match the contours of your body. Thus, you are getting ample support on your neck, head and shoulders, which all contribute to a pleasant sleep. Some of the positive features that you will like about this product are the following.
Among the features of this product are the following:
- With dimensions of 20 x 26 inches
- Weighs 8 pounds, with an option to add 2 pounds of buckwheat for a customized feel
- Made in the USA
- Buckwheat hulls used are cleaned without the use of fumigants or chemicals
- Cover is made with organic cotton twill
- Comes with invisible zipper
- Suitable for individuals with a larger frame and broader shoulders
- Similar size as twin-size bed or US standard pillow
- Buckwheat hulls promote air flow to ensure its freshness
- Easy to customize the pillow by removing or adding buckwheat through the zippered opening
- Cover is made from the finest organic cotton twill that is woven in the United States
- Durable and soft pillow cover for added comfort
- Stays cold for hours and all night long, which is favorable to some people
- You have the option to customize the pillow’s firmness as you want it
- Can be used as a side or anchor pillow
- Quite hard unlike your regular pillows
- Heavy and dense, which makes it uncomfortable to position in between your legs
- A bit pricier than the rest at $125 (even with a $10 discount at some stores)
Buckwheat Pillow Lap Log Classic
Some of the great features of this product are the following:
- Compatible with all iPad models, Nooks, and Kindles, as long as the length does not exceed 12 inches (landscape or portrait)
- Minimizes your risks of suffering from repetitive stress injuries to the arms, hands, shoulders and fingers
- No need to keep holding your tablet with the pillow’s hands-free design
- Reduce eye strain due to use of tablet for longer hours
- Made in the USA
There are so many things you will love about this buckwheat pillow brand including these.
- Relatively affordable at $49
- Made from sustainable materials including buckwheat hull for the filling and organic cotton for the cover
- Gives you a stable and comfortable platform for using a tablet in bed
- Protects your device each time you use or charge it
- Has a good size of 10.5 inches in length and 5.5 inches in width
- Comes with a hidden zipper that lets you adjust the volume of buckwheat hull
- Slightly hard and heavy
- Not the right length, according to some users
Original “Sobakawa” Buckwheat Pillow
This pillow called the Sobakawa Buckwheat Pillow contains 100 percent high-quality buckwheat hulls that allow you to customize the shape and the volume for ample support to your neck and head. In fact, there are numerous other features that you will love about it such as these:
- Uses 100 percent cotton
- Made in the USA
- Hulls are therapeutic and comfortable
- Requires the use of a sham or pillowcase as contents are not machine-washable
- Durable and supportive
- Promotes proper circulation of air
- Easy to bring along when you go for a trip because of its good size
- Excellent for side sleepers
- Helps people with migraines and asthma
- Can be a bit noisy because of the crunchy sound it makes when you move around
- Does not offer much of a lift
- Not your regular fluffy or soft pillow
Zen Chi Organic Queen Size Buckwheat Pillow
Are you tired of dealing with your regular, soft, and not-so-firm pillows? If you have been experiencing some discomfort in your neck and back when you sleep, then it may be time to switch to buckwheat pillows. When it comes to top-notch buckwheat pillows in the market, Zen Chi Organic Queen Size Buckwheat Pillow is among the best because of these features:
- Ensures proper air circulation to cool you
- Made from 100 percent organic buckwheat hulls
- Can be refilled to meet your preferred size and volume
- Great for relieving headache, tension, stiff neck and muscle pain
- Adjusts to your desired position for the spine, neck and head
- Perfect for people with allergic reactions to feathers
- Molds according to your desired shape and size
- Provides a firm support
- Ideal for side sleepers
- Can be customized according to the volume you want (simply remove some buckwheat hulls)
- A little pricey at $39.95
- Comes with a strange smell, although nothing caused by harsh chemicals
- Can be rather noisy
- Not ideal for people who prefer a softer and less firm pillow
- After a single wash, the case may shrink
- The opening when you need to empty the cover is a tad small
How to Choose the Best Buckwheat Pillow?
The best buckwheat pillow can give you a different kind of experience each time you sleep. This type of pillow is quite well-known in most parts of Asia, but now, it is gaining more and more popularity in other parts of the world including the US and the UK.
|Product Name||Image||Size||Overall Rating||Details|
|Beans72 Japanese Size Organic Buckwheat Pillows||14 x 20 in||10||Check price|
|Buckwheat Pillows (Comfy Sleep)||20 x 26 in||9.5||Check price|
|Buckwheat Pillow Lap Log Classic||10.5 x 5.5 in||8||Check price|
|Original “Sobakawa” Buckwheat Pillow||15 x 20 in||9||Check price|
|Zen Chi Organic Queen Size Buckwheat Pillow||20 x 30 in||8.5||Check price|
The material used in this pillow is not like what is found in regular pillows that contain feathers or other stuffings. Instead, it comes with buckwheat hulls that give you a similar feeling to what pillows with microbead content offer. These pillows can be molded according to your desired shape, and these offer ample support and comfort at the same time.
Importance of Buckwheat Pillows
To give you some more details about this type of pillow, here are key facts you may want to know about it:
- Made from Sustainable Materials
These pillows are eco-friendly as these are made from a 100 percent plant material that is all-natural and safe for your health. Buckwheat, for instance, is a crop plant that is commonly found in North America and Asia.
In most Asian foods, this material is often used as a cheaper alternative for flour in preparing noodles and similar products. Since the seeds of buckwheat are tough and hard, these components are often used to fill up pillows.
For the most parts, you can rely on the support that this type of pillow offers. Unlike standard fluffy pillows, this pillow remains firm and adjusts according to the contours of your spine.
So, if you are suffering from painful neck, back, and shoulders, you will find it comfortable to use this pillow each time you sleep.
A common quality of buckwheat pillow is its breathability. In fact, these pillows promote excellent air circulation while reducing moisture and heat.
So, if you tend to sweat a lot or feel a bit suffocated when you use your fluffy pillows, then it may be worth switching to this type of pillow for a good night’s sleep.
Buying Tips to Consider
Now that you know more about the importance and benefits of this pillow, you may need some guidelines to consider before you purchase this item. There are a few things to think about when shopping for this pillow such as the following:
- Know the source.
It is necessary that when shopping for a pillow made of buckwheat, you need to be familiar with the source of hulls used for the filling. Good quality hulls are ideal, and you should go for organic ones that are dust-free and cleaned thoroughly.
Otherwise, you may suffer from allergies caused by dust and debris if these elements are not completely removed during the milling and cleaning process.
- Make sure there are no mold spores.
The milling process is a crucial part of manufacturing these pillows. You may want to inquire from the supplier if the hulls are 100 percent free from harmful mold spores, which may be found in cheaper quality products.
Since hulls are natural by-products of plants, there is a huge chance that these may come with some allergens including mites, dust and mold spores. So, be sure the product you purchase does not have these harmful elements to get a bang for your buck.
- Consider the price.
These pillows vary in cost, depending on the size and source of the product. For instance, the price may range from as low as $20 to over $100, and this is due to the hull quantity and size of the pillow.
More expensive pillows are usually your best bet, as long as you make sure the hulls are organic and free from harmful elements, and the cover is made of durable and organic cotton fabric.
- Check the support and comfort level.
Pillows made from buckwheat are known for their exceptional support and firmness. These are least likely to become flat or to sink throughout your sleep.
Hence, your neck and head can maintain a neutral and comfortable position. In case you want to customize the overall feel of the pillow, it is best to buy one that comes with a zipper for easy removal or adding of hulls. By doing so, you can attain the right firmness level that will impact your comfort when you use the pillow.
Generally, these pillows can be easily molded and contoured according to your desired shape, height and size. This is important when you want to ensure ample support, so you can get a relaxing sleep.
Just remember that there are some issues that may come along, which are not usually present with standard pillows such as the noise of the husk each time it is compressed. The good thing, though, is that the sound decreases and even goes away in time once the hulls are compacted.
In the end, you can expect more comfort and support from these pillows even if there are some slight limitations including the noise and heaviness. The fact that your neck and head are properly supported, and that the pillow promotes air circulation are all factors that contribute to an amazing sleep.
While all the five products presented in this review are quite spectacular as they offer interesting features and benefits to users, one item outshines the others. Considering the price, more features, positive feedback from users and overall customer satisfaction, the Beans72 Japanese Size Organic Buckwheat Pillows is the best among the rest.
This product is 100 percent US-made, and it comes with organic buckwheat, top quality organic cotton fabric cover, and free from harsh chemicals or odor. For a reasonable price, you will love the fact that you can enjoy every single moment in bed with a supportive, comfortable and great quality buckwheat pillow all night long.