The same way we protect our phones by enclosing them in cases, a mattress topper can be a good way to protect your mattress against everyday wear and tear. It’s a small price to pay particularly given the risk of allergens, liquids, spills and bed bugs, which can easily harm us. But as important as this mattress protector is, you don’t want to be duped into buying something that’s not up to standards. You want to invest in a topper that is comfortable, soft and non-itchy. Besides that, you want something that feels natural and one that is resistant to pests that are increasingly becoming prevalent throughout the country. Above all, you want something that’s durable and easy to clean.
Striking the right balance when it comes to buying a mattress pad is easier said than done. As such, before you venture out to shop for one, it is imperative you familiarize with a couple of factors that are worth taking into account. And because the job of going from shop to shop comparing different products is not easy, we have made the job much easier for you by listing down ten of the best mattress toppers on the market. In order to come up with this list we considered quite a few factors among them:
- Type of fabric content used to make the cover
- Whether the fabric content is treated with fabric protection to make it anti-microbial, water repellant and/or stain resistant
- Durability of the topper including details on number of threads used per square inch of fabric
- Type of fill used e.g. polyester fill or gel fiber fill
We also factored user feedback based on different mattress pad reviews posted on the web. Here now is our list of top ten mattress topper models.
Queen Size Visco Elastic Bed Topper 4 Pound Density
One good thing about Queen Size Visco Elastic Bed Topper 4 Pound Density is that it is designed to reduce pressure points by converting your ordinary mattress into a memory foam type. One noticeable thing about this particular model is that it is quite thick as it takes up 3 inches of thickness. Besides that it is loaded with a four-pound density of foam which is formulated to align to your special body contours so you can sleep comfortably irrespective of the prevailing temperature level. But that’s not all, this particular product is compliant with most (if not all) of USA standards. It has been taken through third-party testing and has even relevant certification.
On the flipside, though, it has an odor which may turn off some people. This is, however, not a big issue particularly if you are willing to wait for a few more days so the topper can fully “recover” from vacuum compression.
- PURGreen certification which means this product is not only manufactured in the USA but also in accordance with CSPC and EPA standards.
- Compressed with vacuum sealed for safe shipping. One, therefore, should be prepared to unpack it and leave it to decompress over a period of 96 hours in warm weather.
- It is designed to eliminate pressure points that can cause one to toss and turn looking for a better sleeping position.
- It is built with a four-pound density and the popular gel-like feel.
- Designed for use with sagging mattresses of whatever kind be they latex, spring or old memory foam mattresses.
- Free from Polybrominated Biphenyl Ether, Chlorofluorocarbons, heavy metals, prohibited phthalates, formaldehyde and other unsafe materials.
Enter your model number above to make sure this fits.; Instantly makes any mattress more restful, comfortable and supportive in sagging areas of mattress; 3-Inch of extra supportive 4-Pounds memory ...
- It is a cheaper alternative for memory foam mattresses
- More organic and less toxic and hence safe for people with allergies
- It takes only a few days to expand and reach its maximum size
- Supplied by a company that has a good reputation on the market
- Backed by 3-year warranty
- May develop cracks due to improper usage and poor maintenance
- Comes with an odor which fortunately disappears over time; however some still find this a bit of a bother
Lucid Linenspa 2-Inch Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Despite this Lucid Linenspa product being a 2-inch topper, it stands out from the pack all thanks to its efficiency and durability. First, it is designed in such a way that your fitted sheet will still be tight over both your mattress and the topper. This is achieved by making the topper 1-inch shorter on all four sides more than any standard-mattress. When you sleep on this, it gradually conforms to the contours of your body thereby easing pressure points and relieving shoulder and back pain. Besides that, it promises to treat back pain and reduce the urge to toss and turn as you naturally look for a better sleeping position. Yes it is thinner than most other toppers, but one thing is clear – it offers the same level of comfort like some of the industry leading varieties. Most importantly, this topper optimizes air flow to ensure smooth flow of cool air to enhance your comfort. So does it meet the set standards?
- Lucid 2 inch is made using CertiPUR-US certified foam which has been tested and certified by an independent laboratory as meeting the recommended physical performance and environmental stewardship.
- It is carefully constructed to ensure it is free from ozone depleters, phthalates, heavy metals (like mercury and lead), CFCs, PBDEs, formaldehyde and low emission VOCs.
- It utilizes open cell technology that makes it easy for the foam to form an impression against your body contours.
- It is purposely designed to be 1-inch shorter on all sides and this ensures your sheets can still fit over your original mattress and topper.
- It is protected by a 3-year warranty cover which although not as long as we’d want is adequate for any quality conscious buyer.
- Its factory-like odor dissipates within 48 hours after removal from the packaging
2-inch premium memory foam mattress topper backed by a 3-year warranty; Ventilated to increase air flow for a soothing sleeping temperature; LUCID memory foam formula offers superior comfort and ...
- Adequate ventilation for ideal temperature during sleep
- It is cheaper than most other brands of its similar value
- Thick, stable and comfy
- Durable and well padded
- Designed for easy use against any bed, mattress or type of bed sheets
- It has a weird smell which is quite strong when you just remove it from the packaging. This odor disappears after a few days. You may want to leave it in the open for a few days prior to using it on your bed.
Lucid 2.5 Inch Memory Foam Mattress Topper With Gel Foam
This twin-xl topper is designed to be soft, doughy and consistent so that it quickly conforms to your weight and body pressure. It contains a ventilated gel-infused memory foam that captures and distributes heat thereby allowing for free flow of air thus helping regulate sleeping temperature. Lucid 2.5 inch topper further claims to help relieve back, shoulder and neck pain by easing pressure points. If that is true, then one can also expect it to further help align the spine by supporting the natural alignments of your body, particularly around shoulder region.
Another attractive fact about this ventilated mattress pad is that its cover is specially enhanced with permitted elements that make it resistant to dust mites and allergens. Most importantly, Lucid 2.5 addresses a common problem with memory foam mattresses – heat retention. Its manufacturers have brilliantly incorporated gel infusion as a way to conduct heat away from your body (instead of insulating it as it is the case with most mattresses) in addition to a series of ventilation cutouts.
The topper comes with a high-quality bamboo cover that is expertly fashioned and made with an excellent finish. This cover has two sides, including one that is textured to grip the mattress and the other (soft side) that faces the body.
- Utilizes open cell construction technology which is known to yield longer lasting, resilient foam.
- Contains 2.5 inches of gel-infused memory foam which is just enough to bring life to any mattress type.
- It is designed to transmit heat away from the user and distributing it to allow for free flow of air and regulate sleeping temperature.
- Comes with a removable bamboo cover which complements the unique design of the topper.
- Backed by a 3-year long warranty meaning you can use it without worrying about any unpleasant surprises especially during the first few years.
This 2.5" thick gel-infused memory foam mattress topper will bring new life to any mattress. The ventilated gel-infused memory foam captures and distributes heat, allows air flow, and helps regluate ...
- Comes with a free bamboo cover
- Built to regulate sleeping temperature
- Regains normal size in 48 hours after unpacking
- Offers a softer sleeping platform alongside a number of health benefits
- It is easy to use and well priced
- Has flattened edges which many of its users find sloppy. Other than that we couldn’t find any other worthwhile complaint about it.
Sleep Joy ViscO2 2-Inch Memory Foam Topper
Like any other top-of-the-range mattress topper, ViscO2 2 inch claims to be breathable and of high-quality. It uses open-cell technology which is further enhanced with plant-based ingredients to create a high-performance material that provides cradling comfort and a touch of luxury. Besides that, the material is incredibly breathable as it is well ventilated to provide better flow of air even when the user is deeply covered during the night.
This works by transmitting heat from your body through a series of holes that have been intentionally created on it alongside advanced foam technology that does not trap heat in. Its 3 lb worth of memory foam is well tucked inside strengthened walls which in turn gives it long-life and enhances its recovery after a user walks out of the bed. In fact, this topper is so well built that the manufacturer provides 5-year warranty instead of the standard 3-year warranty.
Clearly, the manufacturer is confident with whatever they have to offer and the technology behind it. Remember, depending on the size of your current mattress you can choose from 5 different size varieties namely: California king size, King size, Queen size, Full size, and Twin size.
- It utilizes the popular open-cell construction which provides increased airflow and support. This also enhances breathability and effectively tackles the problem of heat retention.
- The fact that it is a memory foam mattress means that it aligns with your body contours and ease pressure points and reduce joint pain. Further, by conforming to your body contours it promotes spinal alignment and solves problems such as lower back ache.
- It is fully Made in the USA in accordance with the strict rules and regulations of health and environment protection bodies.
- Unlike other mattresses, foam odor is fully removed during production of this mattress topper thereby eliminating the need to leave the mattress to air out before use.
- Backed by a 5-year long manufacturer warranty.
Improve your overall comfort and sleep quality with the Sleep Joy ViscO2 Memory Foam Mattress Topper. Sleep Joy ViscO2 Memory Foam is the first breathable, open-cell memory foam that is enhanced with ...
- Well constructed and suitable for long-term use
- Regulates temperature when you sleep on it
- Easy to clean and maintain (spot cleaning recommended)
- Can be used immediately after it regains full size after unpacking as there is no bad foam smell
- It does not come with a cover, one has to buy it separately.
Red Nomad 3 Inch Visco Elastic Topper
Red Nomad Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Pad Bed Topper is deliberately made narrower than your mattress so that it can accommodate snug placement of your fitted sheet. But that’s not all, this three-inch foam easily converts an ordinary mattress into a memory foam mattress. And because it is designed to reduce pressure points by conforming to your body contours, it maximizes on the user’s comfort which might mean less tossing and turning during the night. Beyond all the marketing hype and glamour, this topper has been subjected to independent monitoring by CertiPUR-US and it has been confirmed to be free of phthalates, ozone depleters, flame retardants and formaldehyde.
Moreover, this product utilizes special CoolFlowTM technology to regulate temperature and improve airflow throughout the night. One of the most outstanding features that come with it is its polymer design that opens the cell structure, dissipates heat and minimizes stiffness. To finish the whole thing off, you have a special bamboo cover that is washable, breathable and comfortable to use as well.
- The topper arrives enclosed in anti-dust mite and hypoallergenic zip off packaging. Once you unpack it you will have to allow it 24 hours to fully expand.
- Its memory foam has been developed with chiropractic patients in mind as it basically provides ample support to your body through all your pressure points.
- It carries the Certi-PUR-US certification which fully confirms that it has been tested for durability, performance, and low emissions and deemed fit for the market.
- The manufacturer has done their best to reduce on foam odor. So when you receive this you will not have to wait for too long just for it to get some fresh air. In fact, the odor disappears in as few as 5 hours after unpacking.
- This mattress topper relies heavily on memory foam support to achieve its key objectives. In a nutshell, it conforms to your body shape and structure to offer support and ease pressure which essentially provides a perfect sleeping opportunity.
Nothing tops our three-inch memory foam mattress topper, bringing you increased comfort and more restful sleep. Designed to reduce pressure points while sleeping on any mattress, even sagging ones, ...
- One of the most popular toppers
- Generally effective at softening firm mattresses
- Somewhat less likely than memory foam mattresses to have foam odor
- Few reports of bothersome heat retention
- Relatively light in weight
- Fluffing is often needed to maintain its loftiness
- Dry cleaning is often required
All Season Down Alternative King Topper
If you are looking for something that is protected inside a high-quality cover and with little or no odor then the All Season Down Alternative King Mattress Topper could be your best bet. It is designed in a baffle box stitch pattern which has been reinforced with double-needle stitching to ensure long-life and overall stability when it is placed on a bed. It is hypoallergenic in nature meaning it is adequate to protect your bed from dust mites, pests, and any other harmful agents.
On the other hand, it is safe for the environment. Its foam is not as smelly as you would expect and the factory that manufacturers it is on record for observing the highest standards of environment safety requirements. Deep inside, it is layered with microfiber which apart from providing more comfort works by transmitting heat away from the body to ensure adequate temperature regulation throughout the night.
While some critics think otherwise, it is safe to say that this topper can significantly bypass the problem of heat retention which is so common in most memory foam products. A combination of polyester cover and microfiber fill along with baffle box design with smooth piped edging is purposely meant to improve the quality of one’s sleep. In a nutshell, although this product can be used on any bed with any mattress, the best results are achieved when it is used on a mattress sofa or inflatable airbed.
- Contains 2 inches of fluffy fill which is ideal for any bed when it comes to adding that much-needed soft layer of softness.
- It is available in King (78x80x2), Queen (60x80x2), fill (54x75x2) and Twin (39x75x2) sizes. This means you can find one that perfectly suits your bed irrespective of its size or shape.
- Unlike other mattress topper brands this one comes fully protected inside a cover that is stitched in place. Again the stitching is done is such a way that even as the topper ages, the filling doesn’t flatten out and so the bed remains comfortable even in the long run.
- It is machine washable, bed bug resistant, stain resistant and water resistant. That by default makes it generally easy to care for and maintain. Moreover, unlike memory foam toppers this one does not lose its memory meaning you can continue using it for up to 10 years without it losing its original comfort.
- Its make and design leave it suitable for all seasons be it summer, autumn, winter or spring.
Treat yourself to this luxurious mattress topper with two inches of fluffy fill, this thick bed covering provides comfortable support and an extra layer of softness for a soothing night's sleep. ...
- Generally effective at softening firm mattresses
- Cheaper than most other competing brands
- Little or no foam odor, it’s also free of allergy causing agents
- Fairly warm during winter and cool during summer
- Often durable and long lasting
- May be damaged by frequent machine washing and drying.
Slab Memory Foam 1-Inch Full Topper
The 1-inch Slab Memory Foam Mattress Topper fetches high marks from reviewers for its support and comfort. Many liken sleeping on this cushy topper to “sleeping on a cloud”. The Slab memory foam topper also fetches high marks for its pain and stiffness relief benefits. Remember, it is made from antibacterial, hypoallergenic foam which is enhanced with natural antimicrobial elements.
However, like all other toppers that are made using memory foam, this has a chemical odor when new – but most people report that this smell is minimal and it usually disappears if the topper if left to air out for around 24 hours. Although the manufacturer recommends taking it out of the box and leaving it to unroll of 48 hours, many owners say that it completely expands in as few as 10 hours.
One impressive thing about this is that it keeps its shape and support for long. It is well constructed and there are minimal (if any) chances of compression, tearing or other durability issues. On the flip-side, though, there are some owners who say that some chunks may tear out accidentally – especially the corner pieces. That, however, does not affect the mattress topper performance. It is worth noting that the manufacturer provides a 3-year warranty cover for this product.
- Made from viscoelastic memory foam which is antibacterial and hypoallergenic.
- It quickly unrolls after unpacking and its chemical odor dissipates in a couple of hours.
- Although it does not come with a cover an optional one can be bought from the same seller for a small additional price.
- It retains body heat to some degree but its open cell technology ensures proper regulation of temperature hence providing added warmth during winter and better conditions during summer nights.
- Designed to provide the user with chiropractic benefits through use of a special memory foam that adjusts to the body’s contours thereby reducing unnecessary tossing and turning.
Our 1-Inch Memory Foam mattress topper reduces pressure points while reducing tossing and turning while you sleep. The responsive, temperature sensitive memory foam adjusts to your body's shape and ...
- Good for body/joint pain relief
- Extremely comfortable
- Easy to clean and maintain
- May retain heat
Sleep Innovations Dual Layer 4-Inch Topper With Plush Fiber and Gel Memory Foam
Sleep Innovations 4-Inch Dual Layer Mattress Topper provides you with a blend of fiber comfort and the chiropractic benefits of memory foam. You get 2 inches of fluffy fiber to soothe and comfort you throughout the night and an additional 2 inches of cooling gel memory foam to provide you with much-needed support throughout the night. This patented formulation offers great improvement in airflow for cooler nights in summer and warmer ones in winter.
The US made mattress topper further claims to provide pressure point relief effectively reducing tossing and turning by improving sleep quality. Its top is made of quilted material which adds to the cloud-like comfort of a pillow top mattress pad or feather bed. Above all, instead of the traditional 3-year warranty offered by other companies, this one is protected by a 10-year warranty. That alone goes a long way to show just how committed and confident this seller is with quality.
- It features dust mite and allergen resistance which is essential for convenience and a good night’s sleep.
- Has 2-layers one which is a Sure-Temp gel infused memory foam that curves to your body shape to provide ample comfort and another one which is made of fiber to provide a much-needed smooth feel.
- Features gel swirl formula that offers enhanced cooling, support, and therapeutic comfort. That is in addition to providing you with proper spinal alignment which relieves pain from your body.
- Its very design is meant to boost the durability of your older mattress. The topper itself is also very durable, the stitching is perfect and the alignment of the two layers has been well done.
Does the idea of sleeping on a puffy cloud sound heavenly to you? This two-layer mattress topper adds 2 inches of fluffy fiber-fill in a soft quilted cover to 2 inches of cooling gel memory foam, for ...
- Resistant to dust mites and allergens
- Utilizes advanced technology to improve airflow
- Ready to use in 48 hours after unpacking
- 10-year limited warranty
- It is a bit heavy and you may need some help to place it over your current mattress
Sleep Innovations Twin XL Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Although this one is slightly thinner than its other siblings from the same company (Sleep Innovation), it still promises to offer great sleep quality. Sleep Innovations 2-Inch Memory Foam Twin XL Mattress Topper comes with two layers, one being a memory foam layer that conforms to your body shape to ease pressure points and enhance heat distribution. The other layer comprises of waterproof protection, which besides being effective is quite soft and noticeably noiseless.
- Has durable high-quality sides that stretch to accommodate up to 15-inch deep mattress which ensures that pad stays in the right place time after time.
- Made of soft fiber which has been expertly stuffed inside the mattress pad in such a way that it also creates a noiseless waterproof barrier.
- It is quite durable and it maintains its shape for many years. It is even covered by a 10-year limited warranty that protects the buyer from risks of premature wear and tear.
- Features advanced cell technology which alongside strengthened cell walls works to enhance air circulation and regulate heat accordingly.
- Suitable for back as well as side sleepers
- Long-lasting plus it is backed by a 10-year warranty
- Designed with premium pressure relieving memory foam
- Made in the USA
- Has a heavy odor upon unpacking
Best Price Mattress Memory Foam 4-Inch Topper
When you first lay down on this mattress topper, you will find that it is a bit firmer than you may expect. However, after you lay down on it, it gradually reacts to your body temperature and starts to contour according to your body shape. Best Price Mattress 4-Inch Memory Foam Mattress Topper eventually supports your weight and brings relief on all pressure points.
- The strength of this topper is hard to beat given then it features a 4-inch layer that can go over any bed and turn it into a place where you can get comfortable sleep.
- It is CertiPUR-USA certified meaning it is free from any harmful materials or chemicals.
- It comes secured with a 5-year warranty which reassures the customer that this product is of high quality.
- Available in Twin (39x75x4), Full (54x75x4), Queen (60x80x4) and King (76x80x4) sizes.
Memory foam provides a great sleeping surface. In normal temperatures it is somewhat firm, but when you lay down, it starts reacting to the temperature of your body and begins to mold itself to your ...
- Has a zippered polyester mesh cover
- Utilizes responsive active suspension which minimizes disruption to your sleep partner
- Offers chiropractic benefits to the user
- Safe for family and environment
- Comes with a terrible odor, which fortunately dissipates in a few days. This odor may leave you feeling dizzy.
How to Choose a Mattress
With so many mattress topper types on the market, it is perhaps more helpful to consider a few key points before making a purchase decision. The first factor you should consider is price. Memory foam and wool toppers are generally more expensive than latex. Another point worth taking into account is firmness. A good topper is one that provides pain relief and extra support so your natural posture is enhanced. You basically want to find a material that is relatively comfortable and soft. What about thickness? Toppers tend to fall in the range of between 2 inches and 6 inches. The thicker the mattress protector, the more it is likely to weigh and the denser it’s likely to be. Thinner mattresses are preferred when you need to enhance a relatively new mattress while thicker ones are preferred for revitalizing aging mattresses.
Reasons You Need a Topper
A mattress topper can easily be the most valuable investment you can make for your mattress. First, it keeps your mattress clean and looking new for longer. You will actually need to replace your mattress more often if you use it without a protector. So in other words, a topper is a brilliant way to save on cash that would be spent on purchasing a new mattress all so often. In addition, usage of a topper can protect your mattress against dust mite build-up. That’s, of course, to top up to the fact that it protects your mattress and validates the warranty. Remember, even a single stain on your mattress can render your warranty null and void.
Types of Mattress Protectors
Generally, there are 6 categories of mattress protectors all which come with their fair share of pros and cons. The most popular variety is the memory foam variety which is known for its chiropractic benefits. Latex is yet another common type and this one is best known for its firmness in addition to hypoallergenic benefits.
You can also find featherbed, fiber bed, wool as well as waterproof mattress protectors all, which are popular for various reasons.
Competition – Which One Is the Best Among Reviewed and Why
All these 10 mattress topper brands we’ve reviewed have their fair share of upsides and downsides. For instance, while the Best Price Mattress Memory Foam 4-Inch Topper promises ultimate comfort, it comes with a terrible odor that can easily turn you off. The All Season Down Alternative King Topper while renowned for its fluffiness fails the test because of it easily gets damaged when put under machine wash. Lucid Linenspa 2-Inch Memory Foam Topper, on the other hand, comes close to the top, all thanks to an attractive price tag and value for money but fails to conquer due to a sheer number of complaints about its awful odor (which fortunately dissipates in a few days of use).
Overall, Sleep Innovations Dual Layer 4-Inch Topper with Plush Fiber and Gel Memory Foam takes over the top position. It has a super-long warranty period, it’s comfy, well-built and perfectly valued; its weight notwithstanding.