While there are a few top contenders in the futon mattresses field, it’s important to research your options to avoid an unsatisfactory purchase.
A happy customer is a smart customer. But with so many choices on the market, you may find yourself in a riddle trying to negotiate between a budget futon mattress and one that offers value for money.
Fortunately, we are here to help you by reviewing the best futon mattresses and displaying the strengths and weaknesses for all to see.
After reading this article, you will be able to find exactly what you are after, and above all, get your money worth when time comes to order.
Serta Willow Duct Full Futon Mattress
The Serta willow duct mattress is rated 4.0 out of 5 in customer satisfaction according to Amazon. This is the top of Serta’s line and is rated as unique, durable and resilient. Instead of a foam replacement pad, it is comprised of a wolf’s cotton poly bonded pad. Also, it has two more layers of finger foam, a layer of polyurethane and a layer of Visco foam for extra comfort and convenience.
Aside from that, it has an elegant 9-inch profile with a beautiful box border construction for a more tailored look. All things under perspective, the Serta Willow cotton full futon is the leading contender in the futon mattresses field.
- It measures 75 x 53 x 9 inches
- It is incredibly thick and comfortable; you can’t tell it is a futon mattress.
- It is very affordable
- It is a little heavy
DHP Emily Convertible Linen Futon
Chic and elegant with its smoothed edges, tufting and chrome legs, DHP’s Emily linen futon has a contemporary look that is fitting in most rooms. The sofa-bed is as versatile as they come. It quickly adjusts from sitting to lounging and sleeping positions for convenience.
Additionally, it is furnished in an eye-catching gray or navy profile and is considered the top of the DHP line due to its unique feel. The cushions are of substantial density and remain firm regardless of weight or use. In short, the sleek appeal and modern design of the Emily Convertible linen place it as a top-of-the-line futon mattresses contender in 2017.
- It measures 34 x 71 x 32 inches
- Can easily be paired with Emily chaise lounger for a queen sized sleeping size.
- Its metal legs are not sturdy enough to withstand prolonged use
DHP Emily Convertible Futon
Yotube Video Review: DHP Emily Convertible Futon
Serta Cypress Cotton Futon Mattress
The Serta Cypress cotton futon mattress is in the middle range of the brand’s line-up, but on the luxury end of the mattress field in regards to price. It has excellent reviews on the Amazon website with 4.4 out of 5 stars from over 120 reviewers. Its key differentiating factors include a 4-inch spring unit for more bounce and two 1 inch foam pieces surrounding the spring unit for flexible body support.
With regards to construction, Serta boasts cottonique material which combines selected grades of cotton and polyester fibers for a durable planetary that outperforms many other futon mattresses on the market.
- It measures 80 x 60 x 8 inches and is queen-sized.
- It is covered in a khaki duck fabric
- Has a foam, fiber top and bottom cover
- It is pretty stiff and does not fold up easily to form a couch, but with a little work it can be folded.
DHP Premium Futon Mattress
This full microfiber futon mattress is the definition of affordable pricing, extreme convenience, and outstanding performance. It has 522 independently encased coils that provide the needed support plus quality foam and polyester layering between the cover and the coil for optimum comfort.
Available in black, brown and chocolate, DHP mattress is guaranteed to provide a slumber you never imagined was feasible on any futon mattress. It rates pretty well in regards to durability, even for people who are heavy, and can fit any standard full futon frame.
- Measures 75 x 54 x 8 inches
- It can be folded and used as a futon sofa or left on the floor and used as a futon mattress
- It is not washable. You will have to purchase a separate cover for it.
back to menu ↑
D&D Futon Furniture Japanese Futon Mattresses
D&D floor futon mattress is a traditional Japanese mattress made of cotton batting, a layer of polyester fiber and a layer of foam. It can be rolled up to be kept in a safe and convenient place so it can be rolled out on the floor when you want to sleep. This makes it an efficient mattress in terms of convenience and storage for small rooms especially when you have visitors.
What’s even more intriguing is the fact that it can be the perfect companion in picnics or when playing games outdoors. It is also ideal for use in guest rooms, living room, exercise rooms, patios, dormitories, mobile houses and massage studios.
- It measures 80 x 30 x 3 inches
- It is very comfortable, the inside padding keeps it thickness and prevents sagging
- Upon opening it, the size will be shorter for a while, but after use its original size will be regained.
OctoRose Full Size Bonded Classic Soft Micro Suede Futon Sofa Bed Cover
Also in the upper range category, the OctoRose sofa bed earns good reviews, with an average of 4.3 out of 5 stars from over 130 reviewers.
This model has a bonded microsuede futon cover which is stitched for sturdiness, so you don’t have to replace covers regularly. And even though it is resilient, you can feel the softness of the material. For ease of use, the futon cover has a three-sided heavy duty zipper which is not only durable but sturdy.
- It measures 14 x 12 x 2.5 inches and can fit a 6-8 inch thick futon mattress
- It has solid stitching, thick material, quality zipper and is priced reasonably
- Its color is not durable
DHP Aria Futon
Sturdy, durable and stylish, DHP’s aria sofa bed is an ideal choice for anyone looking for a small, elegant futon that can fit in a tiny space. It has tufted, faux leather upholstery with detail stitching for class and sophistication. And since it is a sofa bed, it converts easily to sleeping, sitting and lounge positions.
With regards to cleanliness, cleaning the DHP sofa bed is a breeze. You only have to wipe it down with a piece of damp cloth. Overall, it is a sleek, modern choice and can fit with most room decors.
- It measures 69 x 32 x 29 inches
- It has sturdy wooden legs that can fit in small spaces
- Even in a dark room, its yellow legs are quite lighter than the stock
Lifestyle Covers Black Full Size Futon Cover
With over 1000 customers agreeing that the lifestyle futon cover is a 5-star product, we are definitely not alone. This futon mattress cover has an excellent style that is finely crafted to accent any room. Additionally, it is perfectly designed to fit any standard full-size futon mattress.
With regards to convenience, it can comfortably be used as it has a quick zipper removal design which can be easily hidden when covering Lifestyle Covers Black Full Size Futon Cover.
- It measures 75 x 54 x 7 inches
- It is washable and can last for up to five years without losing color
- It is not soft, and as such is ideal for use in a couch rather than a bed
Serta Chestnut Duct Cotton Full Futon Mattress
This chestnut duct cotton full futon mattress from the Serta collection is another great recommendation for anyone in search of a fanciful lace tufted mattress at an affordable price. Serta Chestnut Duct Cotton Full Futon Mattress features high-quality foam and cotton futon plus a layer of polyester fiber for a unique, long-lasting upholstery that outperforms traditional cotton batting.
The mattress is surrounded by two 2 inch foam core and wolf cotton blend in an 8-inch profile. Inclusively, it is one of the best futon mattresses you will come across.
- It measures 75 x 53 x 8 inches
- It has a box border construction for an attractive designer look
- It needs a cover as it has a rather unfurnished look
Brand New Real Denim Jean Full Size Futon Mattress Cover
The real denim jean futon mattress cover is a work of art and has been chosen over covers that cost $100 plus numerous times. The team behind this innovation has taken their time to develop a thicker, more durable futon cover that can not only fit on full-size futon mattresses but is easily washable as well.
Its real denim jean profile makes it a leading contender in the durability field. Even when under maximum use, it can still withstand the test of time. For convenience, it is zippered on three sides to make it easy when covering a mattress or taking it off.
- It measures 75 by 54 by 8 inches
- Its dark denim color perfectly complements most room decors
- It wrinkles a bit after washing
How to Choose the Best Mattress?
For something that you’re going to sleep on a third of your everyday life, you want something that’s not only durable but high quality. There are so many mattress types and sizes, so you should be fully primed before you go shopping. Here is a guide to help you navigate the buying stage with confidence.
- Consider Support
Support is undoubtedly the first thing one should consider when buying a mattress. Here, you can choose from four popular types — latex, foam, innerspring and air-filled.
- A foam mattress doesn’t sink beyond the topmost layer when you are sleeping or sitting on it. The best foam mattress has a thickness of 4-6 inches and an equally high density of 5 pounds per cubic feet.
- Air-filled mattresses are made of vinyl or rubber and filled with air. The top surface is similar to that of innerspring and has a remote which lets you control the amount of air inside depending on the number of people sleeping on it.
- A latex mattress is similar to foam models regarding density but is a bit springier. They are generally resistant to a wide variety of forces and as such are a pricey but durable option.
- Innerspring mattresses have a beautiful bouncy feel. They are typically made of fiber or foam outer layer.
- Consider How You Sleep
Beyond the construction, there are other factors that you will come into place. They include:
- If you sleep on your side, you may want to look for a mattress with the ability to distribute your body weight while conforming to your shape. A foam mattress will serve this purpose perfectly.
- If you sleep on your back often, you need to look for something that is firm but has some give to protect your spine. Any mattress will do, but choosing one which gives you the most comfort should be your priority.
- If you sleep on your stomach, you’ll want a surface which is not so firm. An innerspring or air-filled mattress will do.
- If you are allergic to dust mites and mold, you should consider purchasing foam or latex as they are dust and mold resistant. Innerspring and air-filled mattresses can be encased in allergen-resistant covers in case you want to buy them.
|Product Name||Image||Size||Overall Rating||Details|
|Serta Willow Duct Full Futon Mattress||75 x 53 x 9 in||10||Check price|
|DHP Emily Convertible Linen Futon||34 x 71 x 32 in||9.5||Check price|
|Serta Cypress Cotton Futon Mattress||80 x 60 x 8 in||8||Check price|
|DHP Premium Futon Mattress||75 x 54 x 8 in||9,5||Check price|
|D&D Futon Furniture Japanese Futon Mattresses||80 x 30 x 3 in||9,5||Check price|
|OctoRose Full Size Bonded Classic Soft Micro Suede Futon Sofa Bed Cover||14 x 12 x 2.5 in||9||Check price|
|DHP Aria Futon||69 x 32 x 29 in||8,5||Check price|
|Lifestyle Covers Black Full Size Futon Cover||75 x 54 x 7 in||9||Check price|
|Serta Chestnut Duct Cotton Full Futon Mattress||75 x 53 x 8 in||8,5||Check price|
|Brand New Real Denim Jean Full Size Futon Mattress Cover||75 x 54 x 8 in||9||Check price|
Why Choose Futon Mattresses?
- Interchangeability: Futon mattresses break down into three separate parts: the frame, the mattress, and the cover. You can always customize them to meet your needs. Also, the covers are particularly easy to change by simply unzipping to unravel a whole new look.
- Comfort: Erase the image of a paper thin mattress. Modern futon mattresses are made of compressed layers of organic cotton, latex, and wool. For this reason, futon mattresses can last between 10 to 15 years.
- Versatility: Futon mattresses are very easy to take apart and reassemble. They can double up as a mattress and a sofa for when guests visit. Additionally, futon mattresses are very light and can be comfortably moved around.
- Price: Unlike other mattresses that cost up to $1000, futon mattresses are generally a great bargain in terms of the comfort they offer. With futon mattresses, you can hardly ever notice that you are sleeping on a cheap mattress. Although not as durable as the others, they can last up to 8 years.
After all the searching, our review was able to identify the ten best futon mattresses that satisfied the expectations of most customers. As expected, the ten are great, but we have to determine a favorite.
Our search identified the Serta Willow Duct cotton full futon mattress as the top choice. Its key differentiating factors are quality, durability, and support. It is incredibly thick and comfortable than most other futon mattresses. Best of all, it folds nicely and stays in place in couch mode.
You won't ever go wrong with it; the mattress is excellent, the reviews are superb and the price is great.